12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

plenty fuel, turns over, but wont fire???

K5guy
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/09/09 04:08 PM

my 1985 K5 blazer has a crate 350 with a holley carb, and it wont crank. checked the line where it enters the carb and its definitely gettin fuel. let some vapors get in the center, and still no start. i dont know what the problem is. oh and the two large screws on each side, my step dad took them out and they let out fuel, so i know the carb is flowin fuel through it. any help please? Confused  

65hotrod
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 08/09/09 06:09 PM

What's the history on this motor? New install or previously running.  Sounds like ignition. No spark, ill-timed spark? Recent distributor or plug wire change (or add)?  Don't over-think it.  Only take 3 things to make it fire- air, fuel, and correctly timed spark.  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 08/09/09 06:19 PM

Check the power wire that plugs in to the distributor to see if it has power or is just loose or not plugged in.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

waynep712
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 08/09/09 11:11 PM

won't crank means the starter does not turn the crank when you turn the KEY to the crank position...

put a 5/8 socket on a breaker bar...  perhaps with a short extension...   put it on the crank bolt..  turn the motor over with the breaker bar... does it rotate freely??????

did this ever run?????   which distributer????    HEI?????  have you pulled the cap???? does it have a 4 pin module or a 5 pin module..?????

on the outside of the distributer...   is there a 4 wire plug that goes to the firewall... if so... take a short piece of wire... jump the black wire to the green wire on the distributer side of the connector after you unplug it... this is not the 3 wire harness that plugs into the cap..  

let us know....  what you find... and a description of what you have just done to it..  or what happened when it stopped running../??????  

SMOKESHOW
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 08/10/09 07:46 AM

From the title I am assuming it is turning over, and he has some kind of ignition problem.  

55Guy
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 08/10/09 08:06 AM

Sounds like no power to the ignition, or the timing is way off.  

K5guy
Posted: 08/10/09 10:57 AM

the trucks been my daily driver since april, and up until now has been runnin fine. however, i went outside a minute ago, and tried to start it, and it started easy as pie. but it sounded like it was havin small backfires. nothin really loud, just a small pow i guess.  

K5guy
Posted: 08/10/09 10:59 AM

ive got some pics of the distributor, but i dont know how to post em  

SMOKESHOW
Posted: 08/10/09 01:01 PM

what happened to make it quit running?  has it run in it's current configuration?  Any changes since then.  Is the fuel old?  Are the wires to the distributor old and messed up?  

K5guy
Posted: 08/10/09 01:51 PM

nothing made it quit running, i was just goin to the store and it was runnin fine, but when i came out of the store and went to crank it up, it would turn over, just no ignition. i havent changed anything in the engine since i bought it. its got a small oil leak, but thats from havin aluminum valve covers i guess. either way, i make sure it stays at the right oil level. the distributor wires look pretty new. the engines only got about 35,000 miles on it  

mpayne
Posted: 08/10/09 05:18 PM

Icon QuoteK5guy:
ive got some pics of the distributor, but i dont know how to post em

This post from Classic Trucks should help you out. Since it is on the same platform the instructions are all the same. http://forums.classictrucks.com/70/7616913/open-forum/pictures/index.html  

K5guy
Posted: 08/10/09 05:47 PM

my computer wont show it, just a little ? instead, tell me if you can  

mpayne
Posted: 08/12/09 02:48 PM

Icon QuoteK5guy:
my computer wont show it, just a little ? instead, tell me if you can

Here is the post from Classic Trucks that should help you. "If you want to use your own image you need to create a Flickr or Photo Bucket account and upload some images. After that click on the yellow image button next to the world icon in the upper left section. A popup will appear and that is when you enter the Direct Link in the text box. Click Preview to see is it worked and then click post when your done with your post."

Example of posted photo

1969 Chevy Camaro Ss Front Side Shot  

K5guy
Posted: 08/13/09 11:06 PM

nevermind guys, i replaced the distributor module after a tip from a buddy that had a blazer like mine that they were notorious for having the distributor module go out. so i took the cap off, unscrewed the two screws and wires, bought a new one at autozone($20.00) and installed it. turned the key and she cranked right up. then i rode around town for a minute to let it heat up(it wouldnt start after i rode it around before, only when it was cold) then came home and shut it off. then within a second or two i turned the key and it probly only turned over twice before that beautiful machine roared to life Smile haha

so thanks for the input guys, i appreciate the quick responses. Im really really glad just to have my truck back runnin again Smile  

kk55
Posted: 09/04/09 12:05 PM

im having the same problem the truck starts the first time but the next day it wont would that be the control module as well  

12 Last
TO TOP