Item Posts    Sort Order

changing carpet difficult?

kswan02
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 07/28/09 09:21 PM

The carpet in my 64 biscayne is shot and I want to replace it but im not sure if I should get the molded or cut and sewn carpet?  Does anyone know how hard that stuff is to put it and is there a place I can order the carpet pre cut?  

waynep712
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 07/28/09 09:44 PM

there are more options that that...

number one... prevent more rust from forming under the new carpet.... or repairing rust damage... so water cannot get in from the bottom....

i usually use some brush on truck bed liner around the bottoms...  makes them really waterproof...

which way you go.. flat rolls...   molded... sewn... is dependent on what you are looking for...

oh... by the way.. there are some models of cars...  with really plush carpet that you can drag out of little old ladys cads and buicks at the junk yards... to almost drop into your car...

i live in an area with a lot of carpet stores...    way too many.. but a few have a carpet binding machine...  it sews  the edges of carpets... to make them into throw rugs...     this works really well for having quality carpet sewn into floor mats...   having them stitch vinal carpet runner to the back with the spikes down will keep them in place...

i have also seen some automotive after market floor mats that seem to have a thin sheet of dead soft aluminum glued and sewn into the floor mat... makes it bendable where you want it bent... and flat where you want it flat..   i dont think they tried to sew through the aluminum ... they glued a precut piece to the carpet back and bound the edges around it...  

kswan02
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 07/30/09 09:37 AM

Well, I am looking for something thats going to look stock and something I don't have to cut at all?  Any ideas?  

canted
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 07/30/09 04:10 PM

I would get the molded, that should be made to fit the floor without any modification.  
Jim
70 El Camino
461 solid, m20,
pics in readers rides
thanks for over 3000 views

waynep712
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 07/31/09 03:08 AM

stock carpet in a biscuit.. .... hmm...   not 3 inch long white shag...... carpet so deep.. that you could loose your wallet if you dropped it on the carpet...

oh well.. i tried..  

TO TOP