Ad Radar
12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

Lifters won't pump up

importsstillsuck
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 08/17/09 10:26 PM

I got a rebuilt, never been ran 350. I was priming the oil pump tonight and yesterday and only the driverside lifters would pump up and send oil to the rockers, but the passenger side will not. I primed the pump with my drill with one and turned the motor over countless times with my other hand. Any idea where I can get an oiling diagram, or any other ideas of what could be causing this? Oh yea, I primed the pump for probably 3hours altogether. Thanks  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 08/18/09 06:11 AM

The distributor feeds oil to the passenger side lifters.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

importsstillsuck
Posted: 08/18/09 08:38 AM

that was in the back of my head...because when i was running my drill i could see right next to the distributer hole an oil passage with oil pouring back into the pan, and i wondered if that had something to do with it, I'm priming this thing with out the intake on it, thats why i could see it, anyways thanks for the help mayne  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 08/18/09 09:04 AM

No problem.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

firsttimer
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 09/07/09 07:59 AM

I'm having the same problem with my top end rebuild.  I made sure and kept everthing clean through out the breakdown and assembly, and when i started it up, the passenger side chattered because of the lack of oil flow. I just posted the same question and awaiting some possible advise.  Someone mentioned to me it could be the lifters are airlocked, so i'm going to manually prime the actual lifters one by one today and see if that cures my problem. If i have any success Ill let you know.  

firsttimer
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 09/07/09 02:32 PM

well buddy, I attempted to manually preprime the the lifters and no success.  I guess a lifter set with fresh oil might be the trick.  By the way, if you have the passenget side adjusted to tight, that might be the problem.  

mpayne
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 09/09/09 09:42 AM

importsstillsuck any updates on getting your lifters to work properly?  

importsstillsuck
Posted: 09/11/09 09:14 PM

motor isn't completely together yet, probably won't be for a while, got other things goin on, like buying guns and stuff. sorry lol  

69nova355.
Posted: 09/12/09 05:17 AM

guns are cool too. i cant even shot mine because some president wants the price of ammo to double. .45s for my glock are almost forty bucks in michigan.  

hillclimber1
Posted: 09/13/09 09:17 AM

I've never had that problem, but if by "rebuilt" you mean that there are new lifters on a new cam, you should make sure each lifter is properly pre-set.. Pull off the valve covers, and turn the crankshaft until you have taken each lifter to it's base circle on the cam.. The lifter will be at it's lowest point in it's guide. Release the valve spring pressure until you can spin the pushrod with your fingers.  Then slowly tighten the spring until the pushrod has all it's slack taken out and you can no longer spin it easily... The cam maker recommends how much to tighten from there, but if you don't have that info, simply turn the rocker arm nut down 3/4 of a turn from tight, and you have preloaded your lifter correctly..  

The oil pump is driven by the distributer, and if it's pumping and you are sure you have your oil galley plugs in and tight, (one on each end of the motor on top) you may have debris plugging oil galleys.. I would not fire that engine until I know for sure the oil pump is feeding adaquately, even if it means tearing it down.. You must have adaquate oil pressure and flow everywhere... Incidently, these small block Chevies have terrific oiling systems...  

importsstillsuck
Posted: 09/13/09 07:13 PM

I'm stockin up on .223, don't have a gun that can shoot .223, but I'm getting the bullets while I still can. savin up for a Robinson Arms XCRLaugh  

importsstillsuck
Posted: 09/13/09 08:17 PM

By rebuild, I mean the motor has been rebuilt. Not just a new cam and lifters, and the reason the lifters were not pumping up was the fact that the distributer was not in the engine. The distributer completes the oiling circuit on the passenger side. Also I have my oil pressure gauge hooked up and it was reading 60psi with my drill turning about 1400RPM which would be equal to about 2800crankshaft RPM.  

69nova355.
Posted: 09/14/09 09:22 AM

well you know than, thats good.  

jeremiahsmith
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/26/09 11:10 AM

so what was the problem with lifters, I dont belive they are air locked, im haveing same problem. Today im going to check the oil galleys for cleaniness, and run  wire tool throug them for good measure.  

jeremiahsmith
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/26/09 11:11 AM

so what was the problem with lifters, I dont belive they are air locked, im haveing same problem. Today im going to check the oil galleys for cleaniness, and run  wire tool throug them for good measure.  

12 Last
TO TOP