Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

No spark!

Red-Line
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 05/22/09 06:52 PM

I have a 94 Chevy 1500 z74. Has a Chevy 350 fuel injected. Was driving it and bam she just quit running. I thought maybe fuel pump. Had it towed home. Checked and found that the pump is good. So check for spark and there is none. Had the Ignition Mod tested and tested good. So I bought a new coil. Still nothing. I then took out the aftermarket remote start thinking maybe that had a role in the problem. Still no spark. I am baffled. Just don't understand what it could be. I show power to all 4 wires at the coil. Plz can anyone diagnose this problem?  

waynep712
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 05/22/09 07:10 PM

test the pick up coil....  got a digital volt and ohm meter?????   set the meter to 2K Ohms...   test the pick up coil... should be 500 to 1500 ohms...   depending on the brand...    then .... before you disconnect the leads... flip the meter settings over to 2 volts AC or 20 volts AC.. and spin the distributer shaft...   you should be able to get over 1 volt AC voltage out of the pick up coil...   it has to have this much or it will not trigger the power transistor to connect the coil - side to ground..  

so if there is not enough signal from the pick up coil...  the module will not ground the coil... no ground..  no coil primary saturation... no breaking the ground to discharge the coil...  no spark...

say... how is the distributer rotor...    they have been known to burn through...   throw a new one on it anyway.. or look up inside the old one...

did you know that the module grounds through one of the hold down screws... ????  yep...

oh.. i forgot...    the reluctor..  that spikey thing on the distributer shaft...   they go bad also..     sand blasting them when they go through rebuilding...  bad...    on some small cap HEI units... the reluctor magnets crack...  sending out really strange signals to the ecm...  since the ecm uses the previous timing signal to set the amount of advance... sometimes when these magnets break.. or crack.. the engine runs really weird...

you might also unhook any tachometers...  sometimes they die.. and short out the - side of the coil winding.. if the - side of the coil winding is shorted to ground...   the coil will not discharge...  

Red-Line
Posted: 05/26/09 03:05 PM

I thank you for the info you provided me with. I put in a new pick-up coil just to be sure i noticed that yes the magnets are cracked and still nothing. I just dont understand what it could be.. There should be spark coming out of the coil but there is non.  

chevman24
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 05/26/09 05:22 PM

Did you check for a blown fuse? Also change those magnets if they are cracked the distrib wont work right  

Red-Line
Posted: 05/27/09 03:15 PM

Yeah first thing I checked was the fuse. I now have New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, Distributor which came with a new Ignition Mod and Pick-up coil. I still have no spark. Now I am really lost and am tired of spending money. So if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.  

Red-Line
Posted: 05/31/09 03:48 AM

So I have no takers on this one again. I'm guessing it has to be a wire since I have replaced everything but the brain but did try a new one and it still didn't start.. So I will be chasing wires. Wish me luck.  

waynep712
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 05/31/09 04:05 PM

just a side thought....

does your ignition key have a resistor pellet in it?????    for the security system.. anti theft system...

if it does not...   do any of your keys have that resistor pellet in it.. that might have gotten inserted by mistake????

do you know how to pull codes..??????   jumping the A&B on the aldl terminal under the dash...or is the security light on while cranking the motor.. i have had a few ignition switch failures that prevented the cars from starting...   2 of them were fixed with shots of WD40 in the ignition lock cylinder and working it a *** to clear the corrosion...  

Red-Line
Posted: 06/01/09 03:40 AM

No none of my keys have the pellet in them. And yes I pulled the codes. There was only 2 and neither had anything to do with spark. All these things are things I did to the truck before I ever asked about it here. I do appreciate the feedback cause it lets me know I am on the right track. But still no luck. Thnx guys for all your help.  

TO TOP