Any 62 Impala Owners ??

JoseyWales62
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 05/08/09 10:14 AM

Just wondering why the 62 Chevy Forum is so quiet  

impalawagon62
Posted: 07/30/09 12:33 PM

I was wonderin that too. My Impala is a 9 pas station wagon, workin on gettin the tpi and 5 spd in. Got most of the parts now, just looking for a trans crossmember. I'm in Wyoming, Where you at?  

milkcr8
Posted: 09/15/09 12:47 PM

I HAVE A 62 BUBBLE TOP. LOOKING FOR DRIVER QUALITY INTERIOR PARTS  

rbolduc
Posted: 12/08/09 03:50 PM

I am doing a frame off on a 62 Impala 2 dr ht.  Just at the point where I am starting to put stuff back on to the frame.  Getting a little nervous at the amount of rust on the body and looking around for something a little better.  For anyone that's interested I am trying to document the progress on my website at www.razecarz.com  If you do happen to drop by, please take a moment to sign my guestbook on the home page

Rae  

blacksheep84
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/08/09 04:46 PM

bubble top NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE  

bcole41507
Posted: 01/15/10 08:55 PM

I have a 62 Impala SS. Corona Cream w/black interior. 383 stroker motor with high flow aluminum heads, keisler engineering 5-speed. 4 wheel power disc brakes. 17" Boyd Coddington (junk yard dog) wheels. Front and rear sway bars. CPP500 series (14/1 ratio) power steering box. Custom Auto Sound am/fm/cd (10 disc) player, and IPOD. Somewhere in the range of 475 HP. Autometer (phantom II) backlit gauges.
Frame off/rotisserie restoration. Fun car!! Built most of it myself. Had a Roman Red SS in High School.  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 01/16/10 04:47 AM

That sounds like one awesome ride.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

Pontiacman2
Posted: 01/16/10 04:48 AM

How about some pics.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

bcole41507
Posted: 01/19/10 11:31 AM

Would like to post some, once I figure how?? Also, computer crashed, and purchased new one. Still need to download from old computer. Have taken a couple of recent ones (car in shop). But, it's a little dirty/dusty.  sigh..
My shop is not for "storing" cars. But, for RE-storing. Personal projects, and a couple of friends co-projects.  

rbolduc
Posted: 01/26/10 12:16 PM

I am restomodding a 62 Impala 2 dr HT.  I started off thinking I just needed to fix a couple of holes in the floor and now I have the body on a rotisserie on one side of the garage and the frame on the other side getting (almost) all new suspension. Decided to put a 4spd in which led to bucket seats and a console.  Once I had those I figured I didn't need much more to make this thing an SS clone, so now I am on the lookout for some SS badges and a grab bar for the dash.  Right now though, I am having a real bear of a time trying to get new coil springs in the front.  Someone suggested having a shop compress and bind them for me but so far none want to send me home with a pair of bound up springs.  I just got the frame back from sandblasting and painting so there is nothing hardly on it (ie. motor, transmission etc.) for weight.  Took me two days to get both ends of the spring into the saddles and even after putting the motor back on the frame there was not enough weight to hold the frame down while I jacked up on the lower control arm.  Anyone done this before? Any suggestions?  

bcole41507
Posted: 02/11/10 12:14 PM

I can tell you how I did it. But, be very careful, as a "loaded" spring can be very dangerous (Am sure you understand that).

My Ball Joints were disconnected, as I was installing disc brake spindles. With the car up off the ground (enough clearance to swing lower A-arm strait down, I was able to place the "un-sprung" coil springs into the upper frame area, then bring up the lower control arm to the lower part of the spring (There is a recess (stop)in the frame and lower A-arm for each end of the coil). Using a floor jack (with wheels that roll easily, for movement), I placed it under the lower A-arm (the weight of the weight of the car) and slowly jacked it into place, attatching the spindle before removing the jack.

As your frame does not have the body on it?, I would suggest you figure a way to chain the frame down, so it wont be able to move upward with the floor jack. That may be a stretch. However, some folks have D-rings or eyelets (or something like that) to hold a vehicle when doing work to a frame, or body work.

Just a thought.  

bcole41507
Posted: 02/11/10 12:17 PM

Should have proof read before I posted? lol

Using the weight of the car allowed me to compress the spring with the use of the floor jack....... Smile  

bcole41507
Posted: 02/11/10 12:26 PM

The 5 speed that I installed was the Keisler engineering Dmc Bullet. In order to use the original mounts on the frame (for the crossmember) and use the original crossmember itself, I measured from the mounting surface (trans to bell housing) of the 4 speed, and then the same for the 5 speed. Found there to be appx 4 1/4 inches of difference (The 5 speed trans mount was further back).
Cut the center (allowing enough room for side to side clearance) out of your original crossmember (leaving you with 3 sections). Using angle iron (mount the angle iron so that it is parallel with the frame) move the center section back to line up with the new (5 speed) trans mount (isolator). I used two pieces of angle iron (back to back) on each side (so it looks like an upside down T), to have a surface to weld the crossmember sections to. Turned out Beautiful, and was an easy (cheap) fix. Looks very professional, once painted.  

rbolduc
Posted: 02/26/10 01:03 PM

Thanks for your input.  Actually, what you suggested is what I wound up doing, more or less.  Wish I had seen your post before as I had tried quite a few different things before I came up with this solution.  I put my floor jack as close to the outside edge of the lower control ar as I could and put two ratchet straps under the jack and criss cross over the upper control arm.  I tightened them up enough just to take the slack out  Then like you said, put the spring up into the upper control arm, but not right tight so it sticks out at an angle but rather just far enough that it makes contact and still sticks straight down.  At this point, in order to get at least one edge of the spring a little bit into the bottom saddle, I had to use spring compressors to compress the spring about 2.5".  Now with a little tension on the straps I started to jack the bottom arm up and at the same time using two crowbars, try to pry the bottom of the spring the rest of the way into the saddle. Once that happened it was easy to just keep jacking until I could get the wheel onto the ball joint.  It was at this point as I was putting the nut on that one of the straps broke.  Lucky for me I had put a 3/8" threaded rod down the center of everything with a plate on the bottom and big washers on the top and was cinching this down as I went. It kept things in place.  I would never do this job again - not with the frame off anyway.

I have pictures of some of this process on my website at www.razecarz.com/restorationpage7.htm if you are interested. (It's not a commercial site by the way)  

hotball49
Posted: 03/21/10 01:04 PM

I have a 62 chevy 2dr hard top that im restoring. I'm looking for a hood without rust. Can anyone help?  

12 Last
TO TOP