Item Posts    Sort Order

2008 Suburban Performance - 5.3L - Keep Warranty

InvisibleFrisbee
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/11/09 06:20 AM

I bought my wife a 2008 Chevy Suburban a couple of months ago, and I'm wanting to get a little more performance out of it without voiding my warranty or needing to go to higher octane gas. I'm looking for suggestions on where to start. The vehicle has the smallest engine they put in them, the 5.3L.

If I was ready to spend, lets say $1,500 in parts to increase the performance, where would be the best investment of that money?  

SMOKESHOW
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 04/11/09 08:41 AM

It sounds like you want bolt ons.  Look at the powerpipe cold air kits, headers and exhaust, a different mass air meter and a handhelp power programmer.  That shoould pretty easily cover the$1500 if you do all the work yourself.  

InvisibleFrisbee
Posted: 04/11/09 09:03 AM

You didn't mention a throttle body spacer, are these worthless, or worth it?

Will any of these options void my warranty? particularly the programing?

Also, what order should these things be done...in other words, will a different Mass Airflow Sensor help at all if the stock exhaust is still on it, or should I be getting headers and exhaust before I worry about the intake?  

SMOKESHOW
Posted: 04/11/09 10:09 AM

A throttle body spacer will do nothing for you.  None of these items will void your warranty.  Insatll the parts as you can afford them, it really wont matter what order you install them in.  The tuners that are out for our car will not void your warranty, and the tune can be set back to normal before service.

I think there are some inserts to incrase velocit that may be worth looking into.  

InvisibleFrisbee
Posted: 04/15/09 07:07 PM

Having never replaced headers before, what is involved in replacing the headers? does the engine need to be pulled to replace them?

How much gain will I see out of a good set of headers?

Any recommendations on headers for this vehicle?  

SMOKESHOW
Posted: 04/15/09 07:36 PM

The engine can stay in, but you may be better off having a shop do he work. It can be a chore.

JBA makes a good product for your vehicle:

http://www.jbaheaders.com/feature_pages/07tahoenew.asp

BBK probably makes something as well.  You will see in the neighborhood of 15hp and 20lb ft out of your headers.  

TO TOP