12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

283 Harmonic Balancer??????

jcastor
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/09/09 08:56 AM

I recently purchaced a '63 Belair with a 283 V8.  Looking at the front of the motor, it appears to be missing a harmonic balancer.  I checked Advance Auto Parts online and the website is telling me that a harmonic balancer is not applicable on my yr/make/model.  Needless to say i'm a little confused, do I need one or not?      Please Help!!!! Confused  

importsstillsuck
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 03/09/09 09:04 AM

yea it needs one...they just don't know what they are talking about...all engines need a harmonic balancer...crank won't last long with out it  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 03/09/09 09:45 AM

Yep it needs one for sure.
It should be the 6-3/4 balancer.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

55Guy
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 03/10/09 08:10 AM

Yes, that early 283 used what's called a "small" balancer.

I'd suggest going with an aftermarket unit for that motor unless you're looking for an original look.  

therob
Posted: 04/30/10 02:03 PM

Well your first mistake was going to Advanced Auto, no offense haha. Oh auto parts stores. They make me chuckle. Just make sure to steer clear of Auto Zone too  Grin  I'd just browse through a Summit Catalog if i were you. Its a small block chevy so they're pretty much all universal. Summit makes an OEM replacement one for like 55 bucks. Or just head down to your nearest performance shop.

And look for internal balanced. Pontiac or 55 might have to correct me on this but i think the only externally balanced SBC was the 400.  

tuffnuff
Posted: 04/30/10 03:12 PM

+1
On the 400, being the only externally balanced OEM SB engine.
All engines require a harmonic balancer, or the crank would whip itself to shreds, from the power impulses.
Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

Dave632
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 04/30/10 06:15 PM

If it has no balancer there would also be no way to drive the fan belt or alternator/generator. You are also going to need a drive pulley which hooks on to the balancer.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

canted
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 04/30/10 06:57 PM

OK I'm not picking, but... on a internally balanced, it is a harmonic damper. Just trying to be correct with terminology. It dampens crankshaft vibrations. On an external it serves double duty as a damper and a balancer, but is usually just called a balancer. Either way, you need one.  
Jim
70 El Camino
461 solid, m20,
pics in readers rides
thanks for over 3000 views

idrivejunk
Posted: 04/30/10 07:14 PM

Howdy, canted. Doin' OK? Laugh  
idrivejunk

ethelkilledfred-#001
Posted: 05/01/10 02:51 AM

Icon Quotejcastor:
I recently purchaced a '63 Belair with a 283 V8.  Looking at the front of the motor, it appears to be missing a harmonic balancer.  I checked Advance Auto Parts online and the website is telling me that a harmonic balancer is not applicable on my yr/make/model.  Needless to say i'm a little confused, do I need one or not?      Please Help!!!! Confused

Got any pic's?

I run this on 400 SBC

BDS 110C NEW

I run hubs on my SBC, no balancer with no problems. I don't recommend it cause it is hard on the bearings and the crank. Here is 327 and 283 balancers and the same with only the hub, and BBC 454 and 427 blower hubs. Most blown motors and sprint cars don't run balancers either.

8Cc154bf  
-

Brotherhood of Street Racers

My Space Brotherhood of Street Racers
http://www.myspace.com/brotherhoodofstreetracers

BSR-International
http://bsr-international.ning.com/

ethelkilledfred-#001ethelkilledfred-#001

tuffnuff
Posted: 05/01/10 07:41 AM

+1
On the crank hub only,,, for track use it's done, as are small diameter multi disc clutches,,, so an engine "grabs" RPM's faster.
On a 283 for street use, A crank balancer/harmonic damper is recommended.
Grin  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

impalass64
Posted: 06/28/10 06:44 PM

HI! What's the best setup for a 283 in starting bloc ?? Heads 305, 327 350....
cam and cankshaf....Because I want to rebuilt this motor
Thank's  

283power
Posted: 02/19/12 07:50 PM

i HAVE A 62 BELAIR 283. The balancer, if thats what it is called, looks nothing like what Im used to seeing as a harmonic balancer.  More like a round plate to bolt the pulley to.  Also there is no bolt holding it on.  No threads in the end of the crank.  Can anyone tell me about that?  

pepsi1
Posted: 02/19/12 10:39 PM

Hi Tuff how are you doing?

How many Explosions have you seen when a dampner comes apart and destroys the engine and body work IF not flipping the car over in the process, and maybe retiring  you permanently. The Energy stored in that 6" to 8"piece of steel is incredable!

It still amazes me what should be mandatory on any Hi-Po engine used for Drag racing or Circle Track, or whatever. That the use of a Hi-Performance dampner is not used, and in some classes should be mandatory! Yet the inspectors will break you chops about not having 3 full threads showing on a wheel stud.....

The guy that told him he doesn't need one, KNOW'S LESS then the person who asked a very important question. Now he gets a dumb answer from some Bone Head that sounds like he knows next to nothing!!!!

I remember that some of the vey early 283 and/or 327 are not bolted to the crank. It is a heat freeze ordeal! Grin  Cool
Thanks,
Bob  

tuffnuff
Posted: 02/20/12 02:08 AM

I'm doing well Pepsi.,. I just don't post much on this forum anymore, since the "Bone Head" as you call him, caused WW-III on this site.
Most, if not all the regulars have left because of this and the place is a ghost town. IMHO
The damper is a press fit on the early SB's and is required so accessory pulleys can be bolted to it.
The damper snout also seals off the front of the engine, to prevent oil from leaking out.
Later engines used larger dampers to store rotating energy.,. and yes, you need a damper for a street engine.
copy/paste
A harmonic damper is a device fitted to the free (accessory drive) end of the crankshaft of an internal combustion engine. It is essential in engines with long crankshafts (such as straight-8 engines) and is present on most engines as it reduces torsional vibrations that tend to peak at certain speeds.
Without the presence of a damper a long crankshaft will tend to act as a torsional spring to some extent. Impulses applied to the crankshaft by the connecting rods will tend to "wind" this spring, which will respond (as a spring-mass system) by unwinding and re-winding in the opposite direction. This will usually be damped out naturally, but at certain crankshaft rotational speeds the impulses from the cylinder firing can be in synchronization with the natural resonant frequency. (Some aircraft engines are restricted from continuous operations at specific RPM to avoid the danger of metal fatigue causing a break in the crankshaft.) In an automotive engine there is little control over operation in such specific speed bands and furthermore there may be uncomfortable vibrations as the engine is operated through such speeds, even if not a problem for engine durability.
Many small block V8 engines, such as Ford Windsor and Cleveland, Chevrolet small block 400 and big block 454, and certain Chrysler V8s, a portion of the crankshaft system's overall balancing may be provided by an unbalanced damper.
The damper consists of an inner hub affixed usually by a key and keyway to the outer end of the crankshaft. An outer circular mass is attached to the hub by an integral rubber or other elastomeric section. This crankshaft and damper together become (in its torsional response) a spring-mass-damper system. By selection of the damping section material and the size of the outer mass the damper may be made to resist and thus quiet the specific torsional vibrations. These vibrations will not be at the same frequency as originally since additional mass has been added to the resonant system, so the damper must be tuned for the resultant circumstances. The overall appearance is that of a thick disk.
The damper will be fitted at the front of the engine (opposite the clutch or transmission, just beyond the cover of the timing chain, gears, or belt, and behind the accessory drive pulley (which may carry one or more V-belts or a single serpentine cog-belt. In older vehicles there will usually be an inscribed timing mark, there for purposes of setting the ignition timing.
Even though it is a simple system, a damper must be inspected by manufacturer. Long period racing requires more attention than other activities such as drag racing. Damper must be balanced otherwise it will hurt the engine rather than protect it from unwanted vibrations.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

12 Last
TO TOP