Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Replacing camshaft on '05 chevy 5.3 v8

h_friesen
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 11/26/08 02:27 PM

Hey, I've got a 5.3 liter v8 with stock cam and i'm wanting too replace it for one with more lift. how much of my engine do i need too disassemble in order too do this.? i know the front end including the radiator, electric fan, and grille. also water pump, crankshaft pulley, etc, etc. but does my intake manifold need too come off? and how about my heads? lifters?  should i consider getting roller lifters for the new cam?  

h_friesen
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/01/08 03:48 PM

i understand that for new lifters the heads will have too be removed  

big-gm-tech
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/01/08 07:08 PM

hey guy,

sound like you have it under control, but you do have to take the upper and lower intake off to replace the cam and I would highly suggest that you replace the lifters even though they are roller lifters they still need to be a matched set. I'm not sure if you have to remove the heads to remove the lifters,but after you remove the intakes you will have a better view if they can be removed from there.

I hope this helps you. Laugh

thanks
Lee  

h_friesen
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/02/08 10:30 AM

thanks for the reply Lee!  Laugh  i am replacing the stock lifters with hydraulic roller lifters, are the stock lifters hydraulic roller lifters already?  

cbtlr77
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/02/08 12:08 PM

Depends on what year 305 you have.Roller lifters has to match up with roller camshaft.Flat tappet hydraulic cam on roller lifters will not work.Have you pulled your old lifters?If you got rollers on them you should be able to see them.  

big-gm-tech
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/02/08 06:06 PM

hey guy I'm almost positive the stock cam is roller. that is a mean little engine for a stock engine. Laugh

thanks
Lee  

h_friesen
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/02/08 06:48 PM

no i havent taken out the lifters yet, im waiting till i get all the parts i need to finsih the job, gaskets and lifters and all. the LS1 cam should be a roller as well correct? and yes it is a mean lil engine haha especially with exhaust and intske  Laugh  

h_friesen
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/02/08 10:21 PM

i am currently looking bidding on a set of lifterz on ebay and they are hydraulic lifterz will they work?  

h_friesen
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/02/08 10:35 PM

i dont think they will, dang.. can i reuse they stock lifters  the engine only has 36k miles (1150 hours)?  

big-gm-tech
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/03/08 10:25 AM

hey guy you need to buy the cam and lifters as a set, or that are matched up to the cam. BUT NEW CAM AND LIFTERS, you don't want to wipe out the bearings on that engine from cam failure!!!! Frown

thanks
Lee  

h_friesen
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/03/08 11:21 AM

bearings..? please advise Lee  cam is new and i purchased the cam separately   Confused

thanks
Henry  

newbie2speed
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/03/08 11:30 AM

Henry, roll with what you got.  If the stock lifters look fine, no worries, re use them.  Roller type camshafts and their followers act very differently than flat tappet types.  A roller lifter doesn't spin on the cam face like a flat tappet does so the 'matched pair' simply doesn't have the importance in your application.  If you are still concerned by the 'matched pair' or see some kind of defects in the stock GM lifters then by all means go and find some new ones.  You can use any LSx hydralic roller lifter with that cam- i.e.-you don't necessarily have to run a comp cam with a comp cam lifter.  
Don't worry about the cam bearings, they should be fine.  

h_friesen
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/03/08 02:43 PM

alright i will do that. and thanks so much for the information, i really appreciate the help!! ya'11 have really helped me out!

thanks!
henry  

h_friesen
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/08/08 03:39 PM

hey guys, i guess too keep the lifters up, i could just take off the rockers and turn the cam  

TO TOP