Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

how to get corvair heads off

fordman9
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/24/08 04:48 PM

Ok guys im a ford guy but i like all old cars My freind is junking over 400 cars from 40s-70 but no musle cars  im trying to salvage all the parts from them i can befor he junks them all I have a corvair 4 carb corvair motor im trying to get the heads off I have all the bolts out it wont come apart I dont want to *** something up I dont wat to break the fins off  

big-gm-tech
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 09/25/08 05:54 AM

Hey Guy try taking the spark plugs out and pour oil into the cylinders and putting the pugs back in and truing engine over with a brakerbar or large ratchet with a pipe on it for leverage on the crankshaft,the oil should push the heads loose enough to get them off.

p.s. this has worked for in the past on VW engines.
I hope this helps you, If you need anything else just ask.

thanks
Lee  

55Guy
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 09/25/08 06:51 AM

A four carb motor?! That's a rare one! Get everything you can from the car it came out of (if possible still) because someone will want that stuff.

Sort of what's suggested above, get some Marvel Mystery Oil and pour into the cylinders, let it soak for a day or two, then try to get the heads off. You're going the right course by being careful.  

fordman9
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/27/08 01:27 PM

The moter was lock so i couldnt use the oil trick Hears what i did i soaked in iol for a few days Then i used a porter power on it They came right off thank for you guys info Anthony  

TO TOP