Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

350 stock steel crank

Wink8648
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/05/08 01:58 PM

Hello guys,
I wanted to get your opinions of the chevy 350 stock steel crank.  I am using one along with the four bolt block from a corvette.  I know it is better than a stock cast crank but that is all I know.  Any help out there?  
Wink  

GibTG
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 09/05/08 04:22 PM

Factory steel cranks are definitely a step-up from a cast crank for a engine that will see significantly more RPM's than stock but you knew that already...

They are usually of a 1010 steel, meaning a high carbon content steel. Aftermarket cranks usually have high amounts of chrome and nickel which drastically increases the strength of the material.

But just the fact that your crank is a steel forging makes it much stiffer than any cast crank, steel or nodular iron. If a lot of stress is put on a cast crank for a lot of time it tends to deform and spider crack. This is why forged steel cranks are most desirable for high RPM race engines.

Here is a quote that sums it up well...

"...factory forged cranks are made from steel alloys such as 1010, 1045, and 1053. While their tensile strengths are similar to that of a cast-steel crank, their elongation rating is more than three times greater. This translates to a far less brittle material. Nonetheless, they're a far cry from the ultimate durability of an aftermarket steel crank." ~ Stephen Kim of Popular Hot Rodding magazine  
~Gibs

chaseturbo
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 09/06/08 12:11 PM

It all depeds on what you are doing with the engine. If you have a forged crank run it and enjoy it. It is more rpm durable than a cast crank, but you hear about people who beat the cast cranks to death and never break them. Congrats though, I wish I had one.  

55Guy
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 09/08/08 06:22 AM

If this is a street motor, a factory forged crank is plenty. Even for mild racing the factory crank is fine. If you're gonna be turning serious RPMs though, then an aftermarket crank would be a better choice.  

SMOKESHOW
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 09/08/08 09:47 AM

Factory Forged is great for the street and will handle a ton of abuse.  Keep it away from big shots of spray, and don't wind it up to the moon, and it should provide many years of high performance street use.  

Wink8648
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/11/08 07:49 AM

Thanks for your comments.  The motor WILL NOT use spray.  It will be a dedicated drag race motor in an 87 Camaro.  Based on an educated guess by my builder I think we will shift at about 6200 rpm and produce about 475 to 500 hp.  Good fun on Thursday evening at test and tune!  
Thanks again Wink  

TO TOP