12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

07 chevy silverado brake problems!

matt_melissa4
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 10/04/08 12:23 PM

Is anyone having problems with the new body style brake set up?? My truck's brakes are squeeking and squealing when coming to a stop!  It also feels like the rotors are warped??  I hate it!  I had this same problem with my 06 Silverado!  When I owned my 01 and 03HD I never had problems with my brake system!  On the 01 and 03HD, I had disc brakes all around.  I went over 80k miles on both of them on the original disc brakes and pads!  I am thinking that it is the front disc and crappy rear drum set up!  Is there anything I can do??  Maybe an upgrade kit??? I was thinking about converting the rear drum to a rear disc!  I think to accomplish this i would have to purchase the 07 Chevy Max rear axle!  Does Anyone have any suggestions!  Any help or advise would be great!  Thanks! Confused  

pistonhead
Posted: 10/04/08 06:34 PM

not to familar with the new brake systems but should work in the same general way i imagine, am an old school fan of the 70's and 80's brake systems myself. it really sad that they are making vehicles of chevy's these days and the dam brake systems don't even work like they should! soory i can't help u with this one and still driving the old school chevy rods for ever man. Cool  

mpayne
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 10/13/08 01:38 PM

I'm surprised they are still making newer trucks with drums. I don't keep up with newer trucks but I thought by now they would come out with discs for both front/rear.  

rangergal
Posted: 03/12/09 10:05 AM

Hello I live in Nashville TN, I bought a new 2007 chevy silverado in Jan 2008, the day i picked up the truck they had to turn the rotors because they were warped, my truck was pulsing and shaking when i put on the brakes, the truck had 4000 miles on it when i bought it i was the first owner, in april we had to have the rotors turned again the truck had 9000 miles on it the truck was shaking and pulsing really bad the rotors were warped again, we have had to have the rotors truned again at 20,000 miles yesterday for a third time, i drove the truck home and guess what it is still pulsing and shaking when i put on the brakes, they are still not fixed, they keep putting a bandad on the problem they will not or can not fix it, now chevy is telling me that they will not put new rotors on it or extend the warranty (it runs out at 3 years or 36 thousand miles) they are just waiting for the warranty to run out and then its not their problem..... is anyone else out there having this problem please if you are please let me know email me at tid929@aol.com thank you  

btcarpenter
Posted: 03/28/09 09:45 AM

I too am having problems as you described on my 2007 Silverado. at 13000 miles the dealership refinished the front rotors and rear drums. No more than 15000 miles later I am having the same problem. I had a 1999 Sierra that I traded in for the 2007. I traded it in with 180000 miles and never had the brakes replaced. I did take the 1999 in for scheduled maintenance and always had them check the brakes. Every time they said the brakes were good. My driving habits have not changed between trucks so that leaves me to believe that GM is installing substandard sissy brakes. Just think if I was towing the max capacity of 7000 lbs. I did think of myself as a loyal GM consumer but that has changed. Good luck  

4Door_Straight6
Posted: 03/29/09 05:53 PM

The 2007 Silverado's have problems with the brakes over heating which cuases the brake rotors to warp. I'd try a drilled an slotted to keep them cool with a set of ceramic brakes on the front and back.  

peterbilt_359
Posted: 04/15/09 07:44 PM

i wanted to do a 4 wheel disc conversion aiming to get a 6 piston big brake kit ( im going to need it eventually =] ) ...what offerings are there for a stronger drum braking system???..i wouldnt think it was too reliable with a rwd 600hp monster.  

dsutherland
Posted: 06/30/09 12:28 PM

I bought a brand new 2007 Chevy Silverado from Marine Chevy in Jacksonville, North Carolina.  About a week ago while driving I attempted to apply the brakes to come to a stop when the truck began to shake violently and bounce.  I was told by a third party that the rear brake drums were warped and overheating.

I took the truck to Marine Chevy and told them what the problem was.  They drove the truck and returned to tell me that it was not the rear, it was the front and how much it would be to replace them.  I asked "What if this does not correct the problem" the respone was "you will not have to pay for it". So, I said go ahead. They had my truck for two days while I missed work with no vehicle, to tell me on the second day at 2:30 in the afternoon that in fact the rear brake drum was warped and overheating.  They now expect me to pay for the front brake job as well as the rear brake job because they didn't listen and use common sense.  My family to include my elderly grandmother was in the vehicle when this happened nearly costing her a trip to the hospital.

After looking online at the hundreds of complaints about the brakes on the 2007 Silverado,  it is apparent that there should have been a recall issued to correct this problem.  The overheating of warped brakes and continuously having to take my vehicle to the shop for the same problem is unacceptable and will be highlighted for everyone to see.

I have without a dout always considered myself a loyal GM customer, But after today's experiance, It's hard to say where I stand.  I am frustrated, confused and embarrased to own a GM product after this type of behavior from a dealership who represents GM.  I expected alot more and still do.  You do treat customers this way and expect them to be loyal. Won't happen! Period!

Derek  

jfitch
Posted: 03/17/10 12:42 PM

I have had the same exact problems with my 2007 silverado. I know Baer makes a rear disc conversion kit for these vehicles it is a bit pricey though. In the range of 1200 dollars. I am sure it is worth it though in the end.  

napadave
Posted: 03/27/10 01:23 PM

I have an 08 1500..the problem may not be warpage. The first time the dealer rotated my tires...I had them check the rears for noise issues. They cleaned them and rotated the tires.When I got the truck back..I had a pulsation. They then turned my front rotors and I still had pulsation. I was then informed that there is a tsb that states the first time you take the rear drums off...you have to swedge the drums so they will index correctly. This was the first time they had done one of these trucks with this procedure but it worked. Have got 47k and no pulsation. However still have squeaky rears. We sell many dealerships our softer shoes to get rid of the noise.  

wintersusmc6975
Posted: 05/09/10 05:09 PM

I may have an answer to all. I recently bought a 2007 Chevy Silverado. Lifted 4" and tires and rims. Well, I drove it across country and noticed the brakes along the way. Well, I thought it was because of the tires. So, I began to look at a big brake kit for the truck. I noticed that people were looking to change the rear drum to disc. I may have the answer. I found this site that has the conversion kit. Good news is it will fit the 07 and is for 2wd or 4wd. Also, it should take care of the problem(or we hope). Bad news is it will run you between 2500-4000 depending on the year truck. Also, you have to have 18" rims or larger. Which I'm sure most of the trucks come with now. So, here is the site and best of luck to all of you. Sgt Winter USMC.

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3099A0A0.aspx  

tuffnuff
Posted: 05/09/10 06:46 PM

Go and whoa,,, do not come cheap, but it's all worth it in the end, when you stand back and can say, "I did that" and feel good about it.
Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

mdjordan2004
Posted: 06/02/10 05:43 AM

"you have to swedge the drums so they will index correctly"
I have been having the same problem with my 05 truck. What are you talking about doing?  

AbleSmith
Posted: 01/16/11 09:58 PM

There are many things that can cause this kind of break problems
Whenever you find out break lights on, kindly check the break fluid.
Problem can be because of poor power brake booster.
The problem can be because of failed brake calipers or because of some issues with brake pad.
My advice is to pull your car to mechanic and do necessary replacement of parts if necessary  

ethelkilledfred-#001
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 01/17/11 02:57 AM

Icon QuoteAbleSmith:
There are many things that can cause this kind of break problems
Whenever you find out break lights on, kindly check the break fluid.
Problem can be because of poor power brake booster.
The problem can be because of failed brake calipers or because of some issues with brake pad.
My advice is to pull your car to mechanic and do necessary replacement of parts if necessary

This is an 10/04/08 thread but is still relevant if you buy a used Chevy truck. I have recently purchased a 1999 Suburban. It too has brake problems. From what others have posted the aftermarket brake system seem to work. I have plans to do the same. The truck I have goes through front brakes a lot more than other trucks I have had. Also the anti lock does not work all the time. Towing is on the side of caution all the time. My yellow truck in the background tows and stops better and it's a pain to tow with.  

DSC04392 1 1  
-

Brotherhood of Street Racers

My Space Brotherhood of Street Racers
http://www.myspace.com/brotherhoodofstreetracers

BSR-International
http://bsr-international.ning.com/

ethelkilledfred-#001ethelkilledfred-#001

12 Last
TO TOP