Item Posts    Sort Order

starting problems

68.malibu
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/20/08 07:28 PM

327 engine in 68 chevelle problems with starter or so i thought, replaced starter with rebuilt did not correct problem, pick up 2nd rebuilt, still no start. i have checked connections and cleaned all connections. Battery check out and is ok. check and tried to bypass newtral saftey switch and ignition switch, no change in problem. when key is turned to the crank position you would get a growling sound from the starter but the engine would not turn engine over? replacement starters were actually for a 427 cubic inch engine, but that should not have made a difference. occasionally the engine would crank normally and start, spent $350.00 at mechanic only because i could not figure it out. hence it is still not working.  

55Guy
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 08/22/08 06:21 AM

First off, you're using a big block starter on a small block. This isn't good.

You need to get a starter for the year 327 you have. Second, you'll probably have to shim it. The starter should come with shims.  

oldchev
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 08/22/08 07:43 AM

The actual starter motor should work the same for big/small block with exception of crank snout (there is a long and short version of the electric motor, longer one with more torque). 168 tooth flywheels have snout with 2 long mounting bolts and 153 tooth flywheel has snout with 1 long and 1 short bolt. You did say the engine has normally cranked and started before so don't think clearances are the issue. Although you said the battery "checked out", could your grinding actually be a chatter from insufficient battery voltage (to starter)failing to allow the starter motor to crank?
I had a starting issue from my 64 that drove me nuts until I saw the inside of the cables and wires after car sat for 6 months. These cables were corroded badly but looked OK on the outside. New cables and engine wiring harness fixed the problem. The question was - What changed while the car sat that could cause a problem? Answer- It got older. Hope this helps. -oldchev  

TO TOP