Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Need specs on stock sbc cam.

cbtlr77
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 08/21/08 09:42 PM

If anyone knows the specs on a 77 sbc 350 stock engine camshaft.Please chime in.Looking for a cam better than the stocker that will yield decent gains.Useing the stock verter and rear end gears.Cant go to big due to I have to smog in Calif.If I know the specs on the stocker.Atleast I will have a place to start.Thinking on the voodoo 60100 cam.Lobe sep if I can remember is like 112.Been told that wide is not good for smog test.I can wrench on a car.But picking a better cam that will pass smog is a little far fetched for me.Thanks for any help.  

55Guy
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 08/25/08 12:02 PM

Can't remember the exact specs off the top of my head, but I can tell you they suck.

You want a good, moderate hydraulic cam (roller if you can afford) that has a wide lobe sep (at least 112) not too much duration so it'll make plenty of vacuum. There are plenty to choose from in the Comp Catalog (they now own Lunati) so I'd call their tech line, give them all your specs, and see what they recommend.  

GibTG
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 08/27/08 04:44 PM

Most don't know the specs of stock cams because they are so horrendous for a performance engine that they aren't published and are first to be thrown out.

Stock cams usually have lobe separation angles of 114-115° with durations around 200° @.050 and not much over .400" lift.

Wide lobe separation angles are good for emissions, you WON'T find any LCA's anyone would consider narrow on any newer (gen III for example) Chevy.

If you really want to eliminate the guessing game and stay very legal Comp sells smog-legal cams for California laws. I believe these are the older "high energy" grinds and maybe some very mild modern grinds.  
~Gibs

antiquehorse1
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/27/08 05:28 PM

anyone know how to put back together a 1979 or 80 B&M Valve body with a reverse shift pattern? We were having trouble with 3rd gear and reverse was shaky....any info would be appreciated. sorry if i am way off subject  

GibTG
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 08/27/08 06:29 PM

No kidding you're way off subject!  
~Gibs

TO TOP