Item Posts    Sort Order

Oil Pump priming

teamtexas
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 07/24/08 06:07 PM

I'm in the middle of rebuilding a chevy 350 and I just tried to charge the oil system with a drill and a rod down to the oil pump shaft. One head primed up and pumped oil through all the push rods and rockers.  The other head did not prime up at all.  No signs of oil in any push rod or lifter.  Any one know why this is happening.  Both sides are built the same.  I was thinking the lack of a distrubter was keeping that side from building pressure.  Could that be it??

Dan  

JW454
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 07/25/08 06:30 PM

The best way to prime your engine is with a scrap distributor. Grind off the gear teeth and cut off the adv. weight housing. When you are done,you will be left with a shaft that you can chuck in a 1/2 drill. The shaft body must be present to pressurize the system. While priming, turn the crankshaft 90 degrees at a time with 30 second intervals two full revolutions. This will allow all of the main passages of the crank [5] to line up with the cam bearing passages[5], they need oil too. By installing the distributor housing you will seal the massive leak to the lifter galley that is occuring. Good luck JW454.  

teamtexas
Posted: 08/03/08 04:43 AM

Just a follow up.... I'm glad to say I went ahead with the build and everything is working great(that is except the EGR valve Smile)
Dan  

rlloyd20
Posted: 03/09/12 01:26 PM

thank you so much this is the info I have been looking for. Smile  

pepsi1
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 03/09/12 03:46 PM

If its the old vacuum egr you can pull a vacuum on it. If the vacuum doesn't hold replace the egr. If its the newer linear egr you can try spraying carb clean in the pintle area of the valve. Some have 3 or 4 little solenoids on them. FYI. I have taken the linear ones apart and cleaned them. If the solenoids aren't cooked. Just remember to mark each little solenoid and pintles as you take it apart. They are rather expensive.They can be cleaned in a parts cleaner Grin  Cool

Yeah the best thing to do for an oil pump priming tool is an old distributor, moroso and other companies sell them thru Jegs or Summit.Do use a 1/2" drill motor. The pump priming will destroy a 1/4" or 3/8" drill motor....
Thanks,
Bob  

TO TOP