Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

How Many Horses can I get out of my 283

ChiZ
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 06/11/08 06:20 PM

I have a 62 Impala with #'s matching 283.  I would like to keep this motor, and add much more power... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

GibTG
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 06/11/08 08:53 PM

What is your budget, technical expertise, and the amount of time/labor you have available?  
~Gibs

ChiZ
Posted: 06/12/08 07:34 PM

Would like to stay under $2,500,technical expertise between my father and I better than average but not experts.  As far as time/labor we have plenty.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated  

GibTG
Posted: 06/13/08 10:56 AM

I apologize for all the preliminary questions, but we haven't got much for details sorted out here...

Do you want to keep this engine, relatively speaking, numbers matching? How about stock appearing? How much is "much more power" to you?

With only $2,500 available you won't likely be able to tear into the long block (bottom end, cylinder heads) except for the camshaft. That's where there will be some power lurking. The exhaust is also a very good place to start and the intake manifold & carburetor would be next, but this is going to take some special attention if you want to keep it stock appearing.  
~Gibs

ChiZ
Posted: 06/14/08 06:54 AM

No need to apologize,  would like to keep numbers matching, but have floated the idea of buying a GM crate engine.  Dad prefers to keep the 283 since it only has 44k orig miles, with this being the case I would like to pull atleast 375-400hp if possible.  

Thanks  

GibTG
Posted: 06/14/08 08:31 AM

With a stock appearing engine that is virtually numbers matching 1.3+ horsepower per cubic inch is nearly impossible. You're going to need to invest in some modified Brzezinksi intake and exhaust manifolds to find power anywhere in those stock parts, and that is really going to drain your budget as both manifolds would probably set you back about about a grand. So that probably is not practical...

To make 375 horsepower a camshaft with about 70° of overlap and .525+ lift would be needed, bringing about a need for a higher than stock compression ratio, which you won't have. You will also run into roadblocks quickly if you install a large cam as the induction will probably be maxed out at the 6000 rpm or so needed to make that kind of power. The exhaust manifolds are also very restrictive.

As far as I know these engines were rated at 195 horsepower from the factory, of course this is on a different air standard and with accessories installed but you're still asking to increase output by at least 150-160%. If your set on 375 horsepower from this 283 you will need headers, an aftermarket intake & carb, and probably aluminum cylinder heads with 10:1 compression.  
~Gibs

oldchev
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 08/24/08 05:15 PM

I am with your dad and remove and set aside the 283. To obtain the power you want and keep the engine driveable you need some cu. in.
Costwise a GM 290 HP crate 350 might be a good idea and upgrade cam, exhaust (headers), and since it comes without intake/carb your choice is yours. Tune the fuel/timing and see if you like that. A cam in the area of duration @.050 lift 242/242, and lift of .501/.501 would be very lumpy and a less agressive approach would be 230/230 duration @.050 lift with max valve lift of .480/.480.
Chevy High Performance has run several articles about engine builds that work so trust what the experience says on the above choices. By the way, what trans and rear axle ratio will you run?

Now if that seems pricey, you can shop for used engines from auto recyclers and shop Craigs list, etc for used headers and speed equipment, Caveat Emptor - Buyer beware.  

hvy.barrel
Posted: 08/25/08 11:45 AM

If you spend your money wisely, I figure you could see about 325-350hp with a set of 462 heads, 10:1 & a good solid cam like the 282 Comp Magnum. Use a good dual plane intake & either a 600 or 650cfm carb.  

TO TOP