Item Posts    Sort Order

84 El Camino engine swap

c4droptopvette
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/25/08 12:40 PM

I have a 1984 El Camino with a tired stock 305 V8. I need more HP and not sure wich way to go, crate engine or rebuild? I live in California and not sure what I would have to do to pass smog test. Anyone out there had a simular situation? Any suggestions? (Besides moving to another state or buying an older El Camino)  

supersport66
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/25/08 04:44 PM

The GM performance 290 hp 350 crate motor is a pretty good motor.
I bought one for my old Chevelle and it runs great.
It has 460/480 cam 4 bolt mains just bolt on your intake,carb, dist, water pump and hit the road.
It was $1900 but it is a brand new motor it even has 08 on all the castings numbers.
Good luck with your project. BA Smile  

binkac
Posted: 04/27/09 06:55 AM

Hi I used to live in southern cali, but if I remember correctly there was a law that said if you spent $XX.XX of money trying to pass smog you got a "free pass" from having to get smogged every year.  I don't know if that works for re-builds.  On the other hand 350s have many more toys to add on than 305s.  What does the DMV website say?  I myself have a tired 305 from 1984 - I found an older 350 and will rebuild that for my truck.  Good luck!  

rancher3504x4
Posted: 02/15/10 10:02 PM

What if you put your emmissions devices back on for inspection and then took them off. Buy the goodwrench 260hp replacement 350.(the cam will work with your computer and you cant tell the difference externally from a 305 to a 350)($1700). The edelbrock emissions legal intake for your 305(will work on the new 350 and has both carb bolt patterns) Use your old exhaust manifolds (plug off the AIR tube holes with small pipe plugs after inspection). Leave the ECM mounted in its stock location. If you look closely at the wire harness from the computer to the emmissions devices it is actually completely seperate from all of the other wiring in the engine compartment. It comes out as a complete unit ready to plug into the computer. Just label each part of the harness and take some good pictures to make re-installation fast. The ECM only has 2 other wires going to it. 12v supply and a wire to the check engine light. Unplug both when not in use. For the catylytic converter, take measurements and have a slip on piece of pipe made to take its place when not in use. A regular vaccum advance distributor for after inspection. Let me know how you make out.  

TO TOP