Item Posts    Sort Order

engine troubleshooting

joromcphee
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/02/08 08:00 AM

my mother is 78 years old. she owns a 72 chevy malibu.we think it has a 350 engine. my brother has done a complete tune up on the engine. including rebuilding the carb. when the carb was rebuilt, we found out it was a carb for a 302. the car was running fine before the tune up but now it runs rough after warming up or dies under a load like when stopping at a light. the dist cap seems to be a little lose. we are hoping someone can enlighten us as to what the problem could be.        thank you         confused in seattle  

waynep712
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 03/02/08 12:50 PM

back to the basics....did he clean the points contact faces before he put them in... brake cleaner usually to remove the think coat of sealant sprayed on to stop them from rusting in the package...

what did he use to set the dwell with???  a feeler gauge or the proper way with a dwell meter...  there is also using the allen wrench and slowly turn the ajustment til the engine dies and back it off a half turn... does not matter which way it turn to start... only going the other way exactally half a turn...... 30 degrees of dwell is what you are shooting for...

after the dwell is set , check the timing ...

dwell affects the base timing setting.. dwell first.. timing second.. ...

the current batches of  dist caps do have that loose feeling.. probably do to the age of the molds and weeker springs and improper bends in the hold down legs...

after the dwell and timing is set.. then you can tune the idle mixture screws...

and did all the spark plug wires get pushed into the cap all the way...   no corrosion on the cap ends...  

TO TOP