Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Whats the best small block chevy engine out there?

lightwalker
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 07/11/08 08:21 PM

Ok gents.Lets see your thoughts on this.85 Monty SS 355,TCI 3 speed.I want to add Nos. and a t56 trans..Eng. is not orginal and at 80 it's turning 44-4500 rpm. hence the t56.Any thoughts? Also Where can I get hold of a quadrajet that has the adjustable secondarys?  

GibTG
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 07/11/08 09:57 PM

Wow! We obviously can't use sticky topics here, people don't have the message board manners to deal with them.  
~Gibs

bigblockchris65
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/20/08 02:22 PM

Cool debate.  Interesting - 454 small block - expensive.  

There is a guy in Texas who writes great articles comparing some of this very thing.  His name is David Reher and he runs Reher / Morrison racing engines.  David Reher wrote a couple of articles that get at some of the core issues of comparing large bore vs. long stroke and some of the advantages and disadvantages that big blocks and small blocks both have.  The first article you might want to read is "No Replacement for Displacement" and the next is "Big Bore or Long Stroke: Wich is Better?"  Some of those small blocks can produce great numbers and can be cheaper to build up front but that comes with a price later on.  The dollar per horse power number on a 454 cubic inch small block seems a little high - the piston speed must be incredibly fast.       chris  

GibTG
Posted: 07/20/08 08:36 PM

There are some great concepts in those articles by Mr. Reher...

The one I remember most is that the best way to add displacement is to increase RPM's.  
~Gibs

bigblockchris65
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/21/08 08:45 AM

My next project is going to be a small block 383 that is "real world".  I am going to use stock cast iron heads with 1.94 or 2.02 intakes, using stainless valves, - whatever I can find free or cheap and a run of the mill 350 block.  It will have a forged crank, I beam rods and forged pistons - nothing too fancy.  The catch is that I will be running 13:1 compression on e85 (ethanol).  The goal for this engine is to assemble it using as close to stock components and dimensions as possible and making 500 horse and around 400Ft. lbs torque and only spend about $3000 dollars doing it.  Because of the high compression I will not have to get too crazy with my cam and will not have to spend an outragouse amount of money on the valve train - it's not going to spin over 5500 rpm and will maintain normal intake vacume for use with lightly built 350 trans.  I will not need a top of the line ignition, run of the mill electronic with a decent coil will do.  I will also be keeping my stock radiator and just using a high flow water pump and an oil cooler - the ethanol will keep an engine much cooler than gas.  Single 750 Holley e85 carb with edelbrock manifold.  The money is going into components and machine work for the rotating assembly.  
 The Best Small Block - The one that has 500 horse, runs nice and cool, and leaves me money left over for BEER, FUEL and A PACK OF SMOKES.  One that is easy to tune and maintain and last for a long time.
 The other idea that is being kicked around is a 383 that runs pump gas and 10:1 compression but has a sepperate 12 gallon fuel cell that holds e85 that goes to a single plate (Nitrous/Ethanol) injector.  A single stage 150 horse shot should be no problem!  Using e85 with nitrous will cool the engine so much that detonation will not be a problem nor will overheating between knocking off mustangs on the street or strip.  That whole plate installed with all components shouldn't run much more than a grand with parts bought new and used.
 Gib I don't want to get into any long discussion about this ethanol again.  The advantage that it has over gas really shines when you are building long lasting deppendable horsepower on the cheap.  The normal guy can't afford a $18,000 small block.  I would save the money and put into new seats or door panels or a new stereo.  I whent to that world engine web site and looked around on the internet at the prices.  454 aluminum small block that cost over $4,500 dollars with tax just for the block no other parts is tooooooooo much.  If I were to spend that I would buy a 540 big block that would kick his butt and have money left over.  Driving around on a Saturday night with my engine complete and paid for and not worring about the electricity being shut off at the house is a pretty good small block.  Oh yea - your right about that 400 small block, it's had problems over the years.    chris  

GibTG
Posted: 07/24/08 08:38 PM

That increase from 10:1 to 13:1 should be worth approximately 30 horsepower on a 475 horsepower engine. So, you could say you need to be building a 475 horse "street" engine - so camming them is not going to be that different. Maybe you could cut a few degrees of duration but it's nothing earth-shattering.

But, of course this compression increase affects the engine in numerous other ways, some of which you mentioned and some that will help the engine make power...

Temperature isn't the only cause of detonation you know. Running alcohol and nitrous is simply going to be adding a lot more oxygen to the burn, significantly increasing pressure - if there are any severe pressure gradients across the chamber detonation could arise even with cool temps.

I agree that alcohol does make an engine a little easier to tune since the engine will be less sensitive to "atmosphere changes." But you have to get passed that initial difference with using all that extra fuel compared to gasoline, I mean jetting much higher and getting more fuel in the bowls.

I would have to disagree about long-term durability. Have you ever heard of fuel 'washing' the rings dry of oil in engines that run excessively rich? There is a lot of alcohol entering the cylinders of an E85 motor and with all that fuel there will always be some left unburnt and some will always find its way where it's not supposed to be before ignition. So, you get oil contamination and dry bores - is this going to cause catastrophic engine failure after 20,000 miles? I'm sure not but it's hard to say that it will make for a more durable engine than gasoline in the VERY long term.

I won't bring about anything about how ethanol affects the country. I'm too quick to be disrespectful - I'm just trying to make a friendly conservation out of this.  
~Gibs

bigblockchris65
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/25/08 05:22 PM

First of all that isn't the horsepower difference - it is much higher than that - there is this little thing called top fuel drag racing and IRL that you might whant to look at.  It's more like several hundred horsepower.  We are guessing that you have never built or been around ANY alcohol motors and you can't get it out of your mind that e85 will kick the corn out of any pump gas motor out there!  I will take all commers that want to run against alcohol motors with pump gas - ANY DAY - ANY PLACE - ANY TRACK!  Bring it on!  Run your 92 pupmp gas all day - I have people that have been stood up many times in this contest - lets get it out now - or shut the hell up.  If you think that you can build a motor on pump gas that can out run an alcohol car then I WILL TAKE ALL COMMERS ON THE SHOW PINKS AT ANY TIME.  NO RULES - HEADS UP WE BOTH LEAVE AT THE SAME TIME!  DO YOU WANT TO SEE WHAT A MORE THAN THOUSAND HORSEPOWER CAR CAN RUN?  BRING YOUR PINK SLIP!    CHRIS  

JW454
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 07/25/08 07:27 PM

None. Get a Big-Block.  

GibTG
Posted: 07/25/08 08:44 PM

I'm done speaking to you. You will always rely on hearsay and data you falsified in your own mind rather than the truth. Hundreds of horsepower from switching to alcohol, how ridiculous - you're still off in your little dream world.

Have a nice life.  
~Gibs

bigblockchris65
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/25/08 10:24 PM

Oh Ok are you done speaking to me - comparing 105 octane e85 ethanol to 92 octane pump gas isn't even close - it's not in the ball park, it's not even the same sport.  Apples and oranges - e85 beats pump gas every time - take it as gospel.  Put e85 ethanol into a 700 inch big block with nitrous and you had better have a pilots license.  

68CHEVY.
Posted: 07/26/08 09:01 PM

Icon Quotempayne:
Whats the best small block chevy engine out there for a performance ride?

I HAVE A 383 SBC BORED .040 OVER with keithblack hyperutectic pistons. when the engine is cold it makes noise like rattling. when temp reaches 180 it sounds fine. any ideas what this may be?  

stout1
Posted: 07/28/08 06:10 PM

I need help figuring out witch stall converter to use. I have a fresh, never started 383 stroker with the best of the best on this motor, roller rockers, roller cam, aluminum heads, keithblack pistons, etc.. Auto., with 410 in the rear. Equipped with a 6 point cage tied into the frame. I plan to street drive this car and periodically 1/4 mile it. Someone please respond/help. Thanx.  

GibTG
Posted: 07/28/08 06:49 PM

Wow, this board never ceases to amaze me.  
~Gibs

bigblockchris65
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/28/08 07:00 PM

Your not that smart and you live with your parents - it doesn't take that much to confuse an idiot.  

GibTG
Posted: 07/28/08 07:36 PM

Yep, you're the mature one.  
~Gibs

TO TOP