Item Posts    Sort Order

project

V-MAN
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/02/07 01:50 PM

I am starting a new project. I'd appreciate any suggestion I could get regarding increasing a 502c.i. BB to 600hp and about 550+ torque. I'm installing this engine in a 1971 chevy monte carlo with A BRAND NEW TH400 TRANNY and Auburn posi with richmond 3.55 gear. Last project failed 1968 chevy impala 327c.i. small block, totally rebuilt with all hi performance parts (cam,pistons,rockers,heads,etc)only got up to 403hp + 385 torque.My cronies were leaving me in the dust.I want to Kick A%& this summer. I want maximum horses on a streetable car.  

V-MAN
Posted: 12/03/07 08:39 AM

I have read other threads and I realize that there are a lot of experienced gear heads out there. Could someone respond to my thread before I put this motor in as it is just to see what it could do. That was suggested to me. Personally I think I should bullet proof the bottom first.  

chevyscout
Posted: 12/03/07 01:04 PM

You should have NO problem getting those hp/tq numbers from that motor without having to build the bottom end over what it is now.  I'm assuming you're getting a crate motor?  When drag racing we ran the same GM crate 350 HO in 3 different cars and 5 seasons and never touched the bottom end.  Our engine tuning guy worked for GM and said the 502 is built with the idea that people are going to FLOG it hard! Get a good  size cam (.500-.600 lift depending on how much street driving), highflow intake manifold, big exhaust and spend the extra money on a GOOD carb, atleast 850-1000cfm.  The only problem you will have is hooking up to the ground.  Converter stall should be 2500.  Get a good size fuel pump too. Now HANG ON!  Cool  

v-man1
Posted: 12/04/07 12:27 PM

PUTTING IN A CAM IS WORKING THE BOTTOM END ISN'T IT?. HOW WOULD YOU SUGGEST THAT I PUT THESES HORSES TO THE GROUND? ALSO, SHOULDN'T I USE A 3400 STALL? I APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT.  

chevyscout
Posted: 12/05/07 02:58 PM

Your cam is more connected to your topend which is the valve train.  The bottom end is your crank, rods, mains and pistons, these are the things that will take the brute force of the power and transfer it down the line eventually into tire smoking fun.  Your 327 will make hp easier and rev higher and quicker but the torque numbers don't move up that much when you build it. The 502 was made for higher torque numbers at lower rpms and the hp will more closely match.  That torque is what is going to push you back in the seat and turn those tires (and they will slip) way easier than that 327 ever could. The higher stall will work if you're not driving on the street much.  You will have to have your shift points down exactly to keep the car in the powerband. At 2500 rpm the 502 will be making more torque than that 327 at 4000 rpm.  If you can't change gears easily than buy some different sized tires and experiment with different heights to see what works best.  The rearend has to be a BUILT 12 bolt. If you have stock axle shafts be on the lookout for some chrome moly ones or a ford 9in. I would put 3.73 or 4.10 gears in.
 Torque is what breaks things. Think of it this way, there are 4 banger motors out there that are being tweaked to put out 300-400hp but they are not making much torque and are not moving much weight.  The transmission and differential can handle it. Your 502 will have LOTS of torque moving a heavy car. When that motor hits the stall speed it will sling shot the car forward or it will rip the drivetrain out whichever is easier.  Go to a dragstrip and find some guys that have been running big blocks for several years and see what they say.  My team stopped running them not because it wasn't fun but because The torque meant more expensive transmissions, axles and tires and would flex the car to the point of needing frame straightening and tube chassis reinforcement. It was cheaper and more consistent with the sbc.  Put the motor in and see what it does, a cam change in the car isn't that hard. I personally wouldn't go over 3000 on the stall though. You will be amazed what a well setup BBC will do.  My .02c  

v-man1
Posted: 12/05/07 03:16 PM

Chevyscout I appreciate your input and I would've paid big bucks for your 02.c Cool ----Again thanks a lot and not only will I be considering your suggestion but I plan to implement the majority of them. Thanks again. I'll post more question as I need them answered. Your the MAN  

TO TOP