Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

NEW MOTOR SMOKING AT START UP!!

S10BLAZERV8
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 11/09/07 05:20 PM

Hope someone can give me some help on a new ( Rebuilt )engine that i put in my s10 blazer.This thing is not smoking when it sits for long periods of time at start up,
but if i drive it say 10 miles shut it off wait a few mins.then start it,it smokes a little blue but after a couple of mins.it clears up.It does not smoke any other time except at hot restarts.
The motor in question is a 350 4 bolt bored 30 over,flat tops,882 heads with all new parts,performer eps intake,holley 600 electric choke,high volume oil pump.
I ran this motor about 500 miles on regular oil,and then changed it and the filter to Mobil 1 synthetic.
I have been told all kinds of things,from the cylinders are getting washed down from a faulty carb,to bad valve guide seals,to stuck rings.
There is a strong smell of fuel coming from the exaust.
If anyone can give me some ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Mad  

48olds
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/08/07 12:06 PM

If there is a strong fuel smell, your smoke might be from unburnt gas from an overly rich carb and not engine oil at all.Fuel smoke can be blue also,both petro you know.Are you having to add oil?Don't overlook the powervalve sizing when tuning a holley.Very important.  

smguthri350
Posted: 01/26/08 10:00 PM

I believe you may have multiple problems but start by going through the carb, Holley carbs come from the factory with jets, power valves, and floats adjusted so that they will at least work on most engines, but most will require at least minor work to run there best, check the float level first, take the big screw out of the side of the fuel bowl and bump the side of the truck with your hip, fuel should just barely come out of the hole, do for the primary and secondary bowl. If fuel comes out as soon as you take out the screw, fuel level is to high and could be coming out of the ventures while it is sitting, if so, adjust with the screw and nut combo on top of the bowl, remember that fuel should just barely be coming out when the truck moves. After that, PCV system would be my guess, but not likely, but its worth a shot. I hope this cures your problem, it sounds like a sweat ride.  

Graham_Offroad
Posted: 02/16/08 09:29 AM

This is only my quick guess.
Check the electric choke. Make sure it is open when the engine is warm.
If your high volume oil pump is putting more oil into the upper part of the heads than they can drain, you may have warm oil going past the valve guides.  
It's not racing unless there's dirt in your beer.

clay_ermann
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/01/08 07:07 AM

Ive had this problem with a 350 i built.  The fuel smell comes from unburnt fuel in the cylinders and at start up it sparks and burns which can cause blue smoke.. also if it is a darker blue smoke then it could be oil dripping on top of the valves. which means you need new seals  

Napalm
Posted: 03/01/08 10:27 AM

I would like to say that Olds48 hit one thing about having to add oil.  If you are not having to add oil or very little, then look at your Carb.  The blue or little blue at start up is a sign of excess gas in the cylinder being burnt.  Another good point you mentioned new parts, does this also mean the heads as well?  If so then I would see if the shop used the oring seals that the factory used or umbrella seals.  I would sudjust looking at your Carb first.  

TO TOP