Ad Radar
123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

Best way to make fast 305

r0cksg0d
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 11/15/07 05:50 PM

I have a 305 in my chevy c10 and I know nothing about builing the engine right.  Can anyone help me out so I dont blow it with the first part I put on it?  

bo1500
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 11/15/07 06:01 PM

well as anyone will tell you it depends on your budget. It is a unlimited amout of bolt-ons to choose from it all depends how nuch you want to spend and how much power you want to make.  

bad_gmc
Posted: 11/15/07 06:02 PM

i believe the best thing to do with the 305 is junk it and get a 350  

r0cksg0d
Posted: 11/15/07 06:24 PM

I have around $2500 now and more to come, Im shooting for around 300hp but i doubt ill get it with that budget but are there some starting upgrades I could do, and build it as I go along.  

bo1500
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 11/15/07 07:26 PM

2500$ is a good base i would tell you look into buying a crate motor. GMPP has a good starter block for 1800-2000$ rated at 290hp add with that a good intake a nice carb and some hedders there you have it. If you just want to go with the 305 then i suggest lookin into buyin a stroker kit to make it into a 335 tell me what you would like to do and we can go from there. Good luck  

r0cksg0d
Posted: 11/16/07 07:34 PM

I would like to go with my 305 insted of buying another engine.  Im shooting for a fast engine with over 300hp more if I could.  Ive been told heads, intake, carb, cam would do me good.  But doing all that work to the top your bottom will blow out.  So let me know what ya think.  

bo1500
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 11/16/07 08:10 PM

Well check out powerhouse the wedsite is www.enginekits.com they have a 335 stroker for your 305 that solidify the bottom end by the way how many miles are on the engine and what year is it? Start there and you can kind of get a feel for what you will need. Are you building it personally or is someone else doing it for you? Carb or fuel injection, daily driver or weekend cruiser these are the questions you will need to ask yourself. Please what ever you dont let someone sell you a fake dream, be honest with yourself and go from there.  

r0cksg0d
Posted: 11/16/07 08:25 PM

Its a 1982 with about 90,000 miles.  Its carbureted and someone is going to help me.  I want it to be a daily drivable vehicle.  

bo1500
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 11/16/07 08:30 PM

Then you are on your way you need to find a solid bumpstick go with comp or even crane there are so many to chose from. You have a big task ahead of you any knowledge you get will help you avoid pitfalls listen but dont be fooled i.e. if some tells you they have a 305 puttin out 700 horses you may want to talk them after they come down. Just be careful and attentive because the guys and gals on here are good at what do and info is always good. Gook luck  

Ozz1967
Posted: 12/11/07 04:50 PM

You want a screamin 305?  Check this out.
12 Second 305  

olde_skoole
Posted: 12/12/07 01:43 AM

Man, don't start something the 305 can't finish...
"how to make a small-fortune racing a 305, start with a large-fortune"...
The 305 was originally designed as a smog motor, everything about it makes it the poorest choice for a performance build-up.
The heads are very restrictive to begin with and the small bore tends to shroud the valves with better heads.
Sure, you can build a 305...but why.
It's kinda like this, "just because you can doesn't mean you should"..
Check out GMPP, #12486041 long-block for $2600 with 330hp or #12499529 long-block for $1820 with 290hp, either of these will serve you well and have plenty of potential to make even more power...  

Claytoncleo
Posted: 12/29/07 10:35 PM

Or a 327 screamer!  Everybody has a 350 so be a little different and it is almost the same power as the 350, and with a few upgrades will blow away 350's.  Have fun. Cool  

Billy_Wooten
Posted: 03/31/08 06:14 PM

World Products 4265 heads and a medium cam made awsome power in my 305 until my mains went out. Whoever built it did not work the crank properly. The heads are doing great on a 350 now.  

leviakashock
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 03/31/08 07:58 PM

okay last week i said hat i was not going to come on these forums anymore but this thread really interests me because  i plan to build the baddest 305 that i can.  i am searching for upwards of 700hp i plan to get everything i can out of the naturally inducted engine and then i will add twin turbos a and a nitrous setup.  and i am in the middle of all this specifically because nobody thinks that the 305 inst anything but a boat anchor or a paper weight.

i am running about 330 hp right now in my 305.  the bottom half is off of a 1985 z28 h.o.
the top is a tbi(throttle body injection) system off of a 1991 camaro rs.

so that is what i started with the h.o. specs say it had 190hp and the rs specs were 170

so you guys can guess what i started at and where i am now

the first thing i did was take the two motors apart and find my best pieces which you can tell by my Frankenstein motor then i bought the head gasket set from felpro and i put a new oil pump in it and a new cam, a pretty mild one.  .446/.466 i added 1.6 roller rockers, hedman hedders, 3 inch cat back flow master system. 4.10:1 rear end gears, rebuilt tranasmission with shift kit 1 inch tbi spacer, tornado air inlet insert.  rebuilt throttle body and rebuilt heads. new hypertech prom chip and bbk high out put fuel pump 255lph  that is not all i have don but it is the majority and i am tired right now.  i have 320 hp with this 305 and i did nothing to the rotating assembly that has 150000 miles on it.

so i just would like to be the guy that says to everyone the 305 will put out as long as you put in.  I plan to stroke this motor get a more aggressive cam and some fast burn heads for it and at that point i will add the twin turbos and nitrous.  

leviakashock
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 04/01/08 05:02 AM

sorry,  I got so busy talking about my motor that i didn't even answer your question.  in my opinion the first thing i would do is port the heads (don't polish because it is believed that polishing is actually not making your motor faster)and intake manifold.  then take the heads.  then by the head gasket set and start by rebuilding your heads also up grade your springs now would be the time to choose your roller rockers and by the springs that will work with them..  Once the heads are rebuilt take them to the machine shop and have them milled to drop compression and to true up the mounting surface.  After that or while you are doing this i would pull off the oil pan and put in an new oil pump and look around in there to make sure all your bearings and crank rods mains everything look good to the eye.  (with only 90,000 miles you should be able to just leave the rotating assembly alone.

while the oil pan and timing cover are off put your new cam in and new timing kit.  Check your cam bearings while it is out.  depending on how much time you have to work on this thing you heads should be done at the machine shop by the time you get this stuff done.  (oh, yeah you probably should have the machine shop  vacuum test your heads while they have them too) So now you put your heads back on and star working your way up back on, put your new lifters in put your intake manifold on (ported now). rebuild your tbi, put it back on.  put your roller rockers on your heads.  rebuild your ignition system.  (i bought a pertronix 45,000 volt coil and module and it seemed to work well and make a nice differance)  put that back together.  buy some nice plugs but don't put them in until your break in your motor.  by a set of cheap plugs to break in your motor with.  get some nice 8mm or 8.8 mm plug wires and a nice high flow air filter.  and put a nice set of headers and a nice cat back system on it.  you can also throw on the tbi spacer and the tornado air filter insert if you want to.  I would say that as long as you choose a nice cam and the right sporing and rockers you will be making 300hp after this and it will cast right around two grand.  this is how i would do it.  matter of fact this IS how i do it. others may do it differently, but then again everybody else believes that a 305 is garbage so?  hope i have been helpful.  

123 Last
TO TOP