Item Posts    Sort Order

327 rebuild

ROBCAS47
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 07/04/07 12:01 PM

right now i'm in the process of rebuilding a 327 to be installed in a 84 Monte Carlo SS. so far as i know the eng came stock with about 275-300hp. i dont know what kind of torque this eng makes. i should probably mention that this is my first rebuild so any dos and donts i'de greatly appreciate. anyhow, i would like to get 350-375hp from this engine. i know the 327 that came stock in certain Corvettes were pushing out 375 so i know these engines can make the kind of power i'm looking for. now my budget is very limited due to an Army salary and family comes first. I would like to keep the camel hump heads, and right now my plans are to install some good performance springs,new valves, rods, roller rockers, and a bigger cam. the problem with the cam is that i don't know how big is to big for this eng. i also have a holley 600cfm carb and plan on using an Edlebrock victor jr. air gap rpm intake manifold. i also have an Accel distributor with supercoil and will probably use E3 diamondfire plugs. this is about as far as i've gotten with plans for the engine and i don't know how far it'll get me towards reaching my goal. any information and advice will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.  

bigcam406
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 07/05/07 08:29 PM

chp did an article a few months ago on a 327 rebuild using Edelbrock heads,cam,intake and carb.it made over 400 hp. on pump gas and they even threw a plate system on it and it cranked out over 500 hp.sorry, i cant remember what month,but its worth looking into.anyone out there remember what month? it should lead you in the right direction,good luck with it..... Grin  

st.sweeper2
Posted: 07/10/07 05:30 AM

Feburary is the month of the article  

CLYDE1LS7
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/11/07 10:11 AM

All kinds of builds 4 a 327 to make those numbers.That article sound a way to git-r-done.Now if it's ur 1rst build,lots 2 keep in mind.rule 1 IF IT MOVES,LUBE IT using common sense of course.Things such as the distributor cap need to b dry.Dont overdo the silicon RTV.lots of guys have learned that 1 the hard way.It can come loose inside,and block off oil passages.Dont ignore factory specs.Tolerances & Torqe specs are there 4 a reason.And dont half ass the thing.Take ur time.Ive had more guys bring me their engines to fix their shoulda donits,than can b counted.I would use the airgap rpm.Colder charge acts like an oxidizer.I feel u may need a bigger carb though.600cfm may b marginal 2 ur fuel needs @ high rpm.Cammelbaks like 2 crack if u workem far enough 2 get 400 ponys.Plus alluminum is far lighter.The cost eitherway is 50/50.  

ROBCAS47
Posted: 07/14/07 02:27 PM

hey thanks for the advise man. i'll probably go with a bigger carb in the future and i plan on using a dual plane air gap manifold. i still can't figure what cam to get. all i know is it can't exceed .500 lift. i don't plan on having the engine bored over, but i'll probably save my change for a better set of heads. i never take short cuts when it comes to work, i'm a Chinook mechanic and that kind of stuff is bad for business. thanks again for the help.  

CLYDE1LS7
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/18/07 10:31 AM

Youre welcome,and dont hesitate to ask bout anything.As we say,"the only dumb one is the unasked one".4 a cam Im sure there are all kinds of rec. made by folks.I run Crane and Lunati.Ive seen all other brands rub lobes off.And if your good,(Iam)to get past that .500 lift margin on stock chev sb heads,buy a stud removal tool 4 bout 50 bucks,remove the studs, and tap the holes yourself.then after youve saved that 200.00 not spent @ the machine shop,you can buy a cam more 2 your liking.Them 327's like high lift with shorter degree's hangtime.  

TO TOP