Item Posts    Sort Order

LT1 Swap

84elky
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/29/07 02:25 AM

Hi,
Four months ago, after a couple months of research. I started a swap of a LT1 from a 94 caprice/impala into my 84 elcamino...now present day its all in, a lot of mods later and I crank it over...yep...no start...it cranks but no spark..I know its got to do with the vats(yes?) cause the injectors aren't opening and no spark to the plugs..cut to the point I got 12 wires left coming out of the pcm...I could tell u what all I've done but this would be a novel before I'm done..yes all the wires were traced but none seem to be associated with the vats my last book to be had is the service manual its on the way...kinda upset ..its been 2 1/2 weeks...got a msd 2225 to pump the juice...sorta loud though..any takers for helpin me...plz letum roll in...THX  

Henry D-#001
Posted: 05/02/07 08:34 AM

I did a similar swap when I was a staffer on Car Craft, only I dropped the LT1 into a '78 malibu. Its been awhile, but I ran into a similar problem, and if I recall correctly, it only took one wire to fix it. Unfortunately, I don't have the diagram. That said, do yourself a favor and call Mark Campbell at Street & Performace directly at 479.394.7113. Mark helped me with my build and guided me through all sorts of little problems. He's a great guy and always willing to help out enthusiasts.  

84elky
Posted: 05/06/07 03:22 PM

Thanks for the reply,I finnally got the service manuals for the caprice yesterday,last night I read one of the manuals and run across the section "pass key layout" and there is the dk.blue wire 229 coming from the black plug pin #1 looks like..I followed this before but didn't recall it going into the pass key...I believe you're right in its only one wire, I had read about something like this before about the vats in by passing this system..so thanks for Marks # and I'll give him a call ...I'll let you know thte outcome...thxs again  

camrat68
Posted: 09/17/07 10:10 AM

84elky,
If you get to the point where you write that novel, I'd definitely be interested in reading it. Cool  I'm trying to decide if I'm capable of tackling an LT1 swap into a 68 Camaro. Mostly I'm interested in how you solved the fuel system problem or whether or not you swapped in the tank and lines from the donor Caprice. Also, did you swap in the radiator or did you have to have one custom-built for the reverse-flow setup to work properly?
Thanks,
Jim  
1995 Caprice 9C1 with Advanced Induction heads/cam and 3400 Pro-Edge converter with 3.73's. 1968 Camaro with an Edelbrock 35520 fuel injected 502/TH400+Gear Vendors OD and Moser 12-bolt under a Chris Alston G-Bar rear suspension.

rgile
Posted: 10/19/07 11:21 AM

HI,Did you ever finish your swap? How did you solve your VATS prob.?  

deuce4935
Posted: 01/25/08 09:06 AM

You could have had the vats deleted from the computer altogether and that would have saved a lot of time and wire tracing, but also you can buy a vats bypass from pcmamerica.com(Jeff)or visit the web page lt1swap.com and that guy gives you instructions on how to build your own vats bypass with some radioshack parts.  

TO TOP