Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

L31 Vortec 350 valve springs

brnrcr
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/29/07 06:20 PM

I have a 1999 vortec 350 motor and I want to install a mild cam in it. I don't want to remove the heads or machine if possible. Does anyone have a better valve spring that will fit into this head? Again, I would like a stock diameter spring. I was told it needed to be a single spring and I can't use a flat wire damper inside the spring because of the large spring boss on the Vortec heads. He said the damper will hit the top of the guide boss and break off. Single spring only. Can someone give me a GM part # or a aftermarket spring #? Thanks!  

Redbeast1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/30/07 05:15 PM

Talk to Comp Cams tech group. They have performance springs that don't require any mods to the vortec spring seats.  

504gio
Posted: 04/01/07 01:24 PM

have a 1999 vortec 350 motor and I want to install a mild cam in it. I don't want to remove the heads or machine if possible. Does anyone have a better valve spring that will fit into this head? Again, I would like a stock diameter spring. I was told it needed to be a single spring and I can't use a flat wire damper inside the spring because of the large spring boss on the Vortec heads. He said the damper will hit the top of the guide boss and break off. Single spring only. Can someone give me a GM part # or a aftermarket spring #? Thanks
i have an answer for you. but first, how big of a cam are you talking?? i am running a zz4 cam with my vortec heads in a 350 thats in my 87 monte carlo ls. take the stock retainers to your local machine shop and have them shave 3/32nds from the bottom of the retainer. next go to your local napa auto parts store and purchase 16 of part number 212-1183. these springs will have a inner damper that will need to be removed. the stock valve seals will work fine. install the springs and retainers and you are good to go. this set up will work with a cam up to .530-.540 lift. dont forget to check all clearences!!! or if you dont want to do that purchase crane cams kit 10309-1 and just drop it in and go. comp cams also has a beehive spring 26918-16 that will work as well. i forgot the retainer part number you will need. hope this helps.  

brnrcr
Posted: 04/06/07 09:58 AM

Who manufactures the valve spring part number 212-1183? Is it crane cams? I didn't find it on the net.  

oldbogie
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 04/06/07 11:05 AM

2121183 is a NAPA number.

Going back to your original inquiry, the injected Vortec isn't a case of simply deciding to put more cam in it. These injected engines need new programming put into the computer. A increase in cam timing and or lift increases the air flow thru the engine at the same time reduces operating vacuum. This throws the engine sensor data off from what the computer is expected to see for the fuel and ignition maps. Basically manifold vacuum becomes inconsistent to throttle opening and RPM relationships programmed in the computer.

I think you need to get more prepared to discover that this change is going to lead you into more places and substantially more cost than you're anticipating.

Frankly as has been suggested to shave 3/32s off the bottom of the retainers is playing a zero sum game. For the few dollars saved from doing thi right, you put the entire engine in danger of becoming 600 pounds of scrap metal.

Bogie  

Redbeast1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/21/07 04:03 PM

Personally, I'd rip out all the electronic trash that's trying to do all the thinking for you and making every little mod and adjustment a lot more expensive for little to no benefit unless you're drag racing this ride or competing for money. It's biggest priority is fuel economy and emmissions control when true performace builds are about neither of those concerns.
just my opinion.

Leave the electronics for the daily driver vehicles and the performance mods for the performance builds. or top end competition racing people.  

TO TOP