NO OIL PRESSURE

Super Chevy
Item Posts    Sort Order

NO OIL PRESSURE

ronald52 ronald52
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/13
Posted: 11/17/13
06:28 PM

prime engine to 70lbs pressure.install distributor,start engine no oil pressure.i did change dizzy gear  

wayne712222 wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule! | Posts: 63 | Joined: 11/13
07:25 PM

which engine???? small block chevy.. big block chevy..????

if so.. which generation???? there are slight variations in oiling...

also where are you measuring oil pressure at.. side of the block above the oil filter area. or next to the distributor hole...

is the distributor engaging the oil pump drive??  

are you having problems getting the distributor to fully seat????

so.. in small blocks. the oil comes up thru the rear main cap..  hits the plug and diverts out to the filter mount.. then thru the filter and into the block.. back into the same vertical passage above the plug  .. the top of that passage is where the sending units are installed next to the distributor.. the plug is 8.5 inches down the hole from the top of the block. if you measure with a clean straight wire..

Sbcrearloweroilgalley

do me a favor..

disable the ignition system..  take the spark plugs out to remove any compression build up..  disable the fuel system if its fuel injected.. some will spray fuel ..

remove the engine oil filter. use a friend or a remote starter button ..

with a pan to catch the oil... crank the engine for a few seconds..

are you getting any oil from the filter mount area.. if yes.. then verify the proper filter is installed.. and that the bypasses are working..

if no.. then you need to find out why the distributor is not spinning the oil pump..  

wayne712222 wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule! | Posts: 63 | Joined: 11/13
07:26 PM

perhaps this is a better image for a small block..

Sbcoilingdiagramclear Zps0c7eade2