Super Chevy
Click here to find out more!

building 383, heads and compression which heads?

Super Chevy
Item Posts    Sort Order

building 383, heads and compression which heads?

tysonmm tysonmm
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 6 | Joined: 09/13
Posted: 09/23/13
08:58 AM

Hello all, this is my first post.  I recently purchased my dream car, a 1969 Chevelle with a 350.  I picked up a 350 block with casting number 14010207 with heads cast # 462624, I've read that these heads may be crack prone.

I'm looking to bore this block 30 over and put in a 383 crank and shoot for 10:1 compression.  Should I stick with these heads or look for 305 heads?  I found a pair of heads cast #  14014416 for $200.

BTW: This will be my first engine build ever, I've never done anything like this before, but what's the fun in paying someone else to do it?

Also, with regards to the recommend heads, what do you recommend with regards to rebuilding the heads in regards to valve sizes? Also, thoughts on pistons for these heads?  I don't want 11:1 as I've read that the motor will blow apart at first run as I'm doing this on a budget build as my first motor.  I'd like to try to get 350-400 HP out of it if possible.

Thank you for your time.  

tysonmm tysonmm
10:32 AM

Also, if I go with head casting 14014416, how do I know which roller rockers to go with? ratio etc....  no deep pockets here.

Any online tool to enter the head cc size and block\stroke and figure out which pistons with 6" rods and gasket depth to go with to get a 10:1 CR?  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Big Block power for the win | Posts: 940 | Joined: 03/11
12:19 PM

First things first:
If this is your dream car and your first ever engine build, you'll want to do it right.
  Check out the machine shops reputation. Ask questions, and if you don't like what you hear. It's your hard earned money go somewhere else....I can't stress this enough. More guys have been burned by lousy machine shop work. Don't be one of them....
  Invest in some engine building books. David Vizard has many books out that will help you and get you into making some power with your 383. 400 HP is not out of reach with todays SBC aftermarket parts. The draw back is your wallet. Now with that all said.
  Don't waste your money on any 305 heads. A 305 head has shrouding problems and you will spend more money on 305 heads then you will ever get back from them.
  Stick with a valve size of at least 1.94/1.50 and a 350 head. The combustion chamber will fit your needs perfectly.
  A piston with either 2 or 4 eye-brows will do just fine with your stroker 383. You want a compression with NO more then 10:0:1 with todays gas.
  Last but not least have your engine balanced. Balancing an engine is really like a fine internal tuning of all your components. The engine will run smoother and rev. quicker, and all around if done correctly will also save internal engine part wear. These are all good questions, and as your build goes along and you have a question contact one of the GURU's someone will help you .

Bob  

tysonmm tysonmm
12:28 PM

Thank you!  

tysonmm tysonmm
02:00 PM

canned the purchase of the 305 heads.

Should I consider watching Craigslist for a pair of 96-00 Vortec heads? or any 350 heads such as the casting number thrown up in the original post?

I'm going to Amazon now to look at books by David Vizard, Thanks!  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Posted: 09/24/13
10:30 PM

You can watch Craigslist but remember!!!! BUYER BEWARE. There is a Latin Phrase but I'll spell it wrong. But it means the same Buyer Beware...  Anytime you purchase a part sight unseen, it's always a gamble. Unless the person has paperwork proving he has what he says he has...

I've been to swap meets were sometime the person selling a part doesn't know what he has. I've been around race cars since I was 7 that makes it 59 years next month..  

I don't know what your budget is but sometime Jegs or Summit can be
a better choice. Now the thing to consider with the Vortec heads is
you can only run a Cam with NO MORE THEN .500 LIFT.... Unless you
modify the valve guides for the retainer clearance.
Just be careful buying anything off the internet...

The one thing you really want to be careful, is your choice of machine shops.
I can't stress that enough. I hope some of the guys that have had BAD experiences
with a machine shop would write in. Ask questions, there are NO STUPID QUESTIONS
only STUPID ANSWERS!!!! If the shop is dirty go somewhere else. By that I mean guys are falling over parts and whatever on the floor. You get the picture I'm sure.

David Vizard does a lot of good work . I purchased a couple of his books for my son when he did his first engine many years ago. I know it seems like I'm writing a book. You just have to be very careful when you purchase parts you physically can't see or touch. Grin  Cool

Bob  

shakerag shakerag
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 4 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/01/13
06:46 PM

I totally agree with Pepsi1. Knowledge and smart planning is the cheapest method and tool you can have. David Vizard is also extremely smart and full of cheap information. when building a engine ask yourself do I want to always be working on it? Do I want to be buying expensive fuel? Do I want to keep getting tickets? Plan your engine.....Shakerag  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Posted: 10/08/13
07:43 PM

tysonmm

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. I have a brand new laptop I'm having problems already....

Try this web site for engine, head building books.

www.cartechbooks.com

HOPE THIS HELPS.

Bob

"NO RICE BURNERS ALLOWED"  

shakerag shakerag
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 4 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/08/13
09:11 PM

another nice place to go to get some useful information is Ryans Dyno Page. He shows many comb. of sbc engine combos. ........ shakerag