Super Chevy
Item Posts    Sort Order

just getting started upgrading.

joshcanfield joshcanfield
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 24 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 08/14/13
06:12 PM

Hello,
I have a 1982 Chevy ElCamino. I recently came in to about 2k to spend for my self. now i am new to the whole rebuilding of my car. Pulled the 229 out and put a 350 4 bolt out of a 1978 c10. I know I want to eventually one day turn the 350 into a maybe a 383 stroker? so I was wondering if there were parts that I could use to on both a 350 for now and later keep on the engine when I rebuild it.

so I would at least like a new carb, maybe new ignition, Shift Kit?

I have a TH350 transmission. everything is stock at the moment except the engine I pulled.(not really into the idea of stock cars. i like upgrades too much)

so any advice on where i should put my money in to first would be greatly appreciated.  

68scott385 68scott385
I have an SS396 tatoo | Posts: 325 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 08/15/13
04:50 AM

First thing to do is improve its ability to breathe. Headers & free flowing exhaust is a good idea to get started. Then an aftermarket dual-plane intake manifold and 4bbl carb. If you have the money, swapping the cam while the intake is off would save time, money, and labor. A lesser expensive aftermarket HEI distributor will work fine for now. Once those mods are made the next step is better heads. If you follow a pattern of incremental improvements the next step is a fresh short block.

At some point you will have to improve your transmission's ability/capability to hold the increases in power. A shift kit is a good starting point as  long as the transmission is in good health. The key thing to keep in mind is that once the fluid starts smelling burnt, the trans is of decreasing health until it dies. If you have to pull the trans, replacing the torque converter with a higher stall unit will help as long as you don't go too high.

Changing the rear gear ratio is one thing that will help regardless of you engines output. Increased mechanical advantage will help accelerate your car but it will also decrease fuel mileage and can limit top speed if taken to extremes. The first thing to do before changing rear gears is figure out what ratio you currently have. The only method I truly trust is to pull the rear cover off, count the teeth on the pinion and the ring gears, then divide the larger number by the smaller number and that is your gear ratio. From the factory it should be something like 2.73, 3.08, 3.23, but you need to know which without guessing so you can predict how it will behave after the change.

Now that you have several ways to spend your money, you'll soon see that 2K doesn't go far when improving a cars performance.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

01:16 PM

ok thanks so I already have some flow master exhaust on the car already. exact diameter, I am not sure of at the moment. I would have to go get a dial caliper. as for headers would these be decent for a first time rebuilding of my engine?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-2451hkr/overview/year/1982/make/chevrolet/model/el-camino

and as far as the carb, I was told that edlebrock was a good brand if I am rebuilding a chevy 350. so I don't know what to get do I need more than 600 cfm? auto zone has edlebrock 1406 and 1405 performance carbs. or should I go with something like this...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-9907/overview/

Can I use my stock intake manifold temporarily with this type of carb until I get a better manifold?

I was also told that if I wanted to go "budget" on heads I should go to a junk yard and pull some vortec heads. the ones that were stock on 350s in the chevy van or gmc trucks and just have them machined.  

redneckjoe69 redneckjoe69
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy | Posts: 612 | Joined: 02/10
03:56 PM

i'd probably go with the headers and nice exhaust, then a decent rear.   rear gears can really wake up a motor.    the summit headers look like they'll work, ive no experience with them though.

Scott's pretty good on the eddy carbs.   i'm more into holleys.    i've messed with a few eddy carbs, and they're pretty easy to work on.    
    carb size kinda depends on how many RPM's you want to push the motor.    the "old school" formula goes something like this, with a 350 motor,...
    600 cfm = 6,000 rpm
    650 cfm = 6,500 rpm
    700 cfm = 7,000 rpm
    750 cfm = 7,500 rpm
                            lots of choices.   i'd personnaly get something you can grow into if you plan on building the motor up.    

look on craigs list for a used aluminum intake when you get time.   probably less then $40-50.oo?    

vortec heads require a vortec specific intake manifolds.   junkyard heads are usually there for a reason.    those guys pick through the good stuff before you or me will ever see it.    save for some nice aluminum or aftermarket iron heads.

JMO,
        Joe  

68scott385 68scott385
06:19 PM

You likely won't find Vortec heads in the junkyard because everyone knows about them and they go quick.

You can use a square-bore carb on an aftermarket spread-bore intake with a thick base gasket or on a factory spread-bore by using a square to spread adapter. I used Eddy #2696 but be aware that the AFB throttle bracket may hit a low profile intake. I learned the hard way but luckily had the cure on hand.

A 600cfm carb will work fine on a 350 motor as would a 750cfm carb. You could use the 750 later on a bigger, more powerful, higher revving motor that the 600 may choke at higher rpm.  

Posted: 08/16/13
03:36 PM

ok. I found a pair of used hooker headers on craigslist for 25 bucks(rusted and ugly, but not dents or holes. will sand them and paint them). I will probably go with the edelbrock 1405 carb since autozone has it in stock in my town along with edelbrock intake 2701, well for now since it is my first time rebuilding an engine.

As far as transmission goes I have been told they are a *** to work with. so I will prob Hold off till I can Take it to a shop to get rebuilt or the possibility of buying a new one. Because before me I don't know what all the owners of the car did.

also what kind of spark plugs should I use? maybe some for quite a bit of driving but still good.

I do not plan to race just yet because I don't know how well the rest of the engine and transmission would hold up that's why I am looking for things that I can start with and once more money is available do a little here and there. plus I have never raced, Well not yet I want to once I know the car can handle the stress.  

68scott385 68scott385
Posted: 08/16/13
04:54 PM

Don't settle for what's in stock. Have them order what you want. If you by an aftermarket intake, get one that has a square bore carb pad so you don't need an adapter to use your square bore carb.

For plugs I like AC or NGK but I have found that mostly plugs are plugs as long as the ignition is hot enough to fire the charge in the chamber.

Transmissions may seem intimidating at first but don't let that get you. They are fairly easy to work on and require some specialized tools just like engines do. I find it funny that everyone tears into a motor to improve it, and they take pictures of it, and spend time cleaning & polishing it, but the transmission gets no love, no pictures, no aluminum polish, and most of the time is taken to "a guy" to have it worked on. It's not your mother-in-law, learn to caress it and it will reward you in kind.

But yeah, I have "a guy" too. Crazy  Not willing to invest in the tools required to work on my trannys even though the number of spare trannys laying around is getting close to the number of spare engines laying around.  

Posted: 08/18/13
05:26 PM

thanks for all the advice, I have so far decided to go with the 600cfm edelbrock carburetor with a manual choke since I will be driving it now and again and I am not ready to go the the track just yet. I got a square bore, dual-plain Edelbrock intake. I picked up a Pair of headers off of craigslist sanded them down and painted them with vht flame proof header paint(paid about $40 for the pair, paint and the sanding materials). I will hold off on the tranny at the moment till I save up some money. I will try and upgrade everything else I can though. new vacuum lines, fuel lines, thermostat, distributor parts, coil, wires, plugs, ect...  

ELCaminos ELCaminos
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/13
Posted: 08/21/13
05:36 AM

Not to be rude at all, but the questions you're asking are easily answered if you do enough reading, research, and all that-

I, myself am still a rookie after 2 years, but i find that alot of people ask questions that could easily be answered in your Chevy/Elcamino Haynes/Chilton, Super Chevy Mags, Hot Rod Mags, and a whole SLEW of reading materials out there

When u start getting into "issues/problems" with your combinations is a good time to ask questions, to ask people who has/have encountered these issues when u start doing something that nobody has done before. Thats when the forums become really USEFUL and HELPFUL!

I'm a member of many forums and i find myself getting burnt out answering questions that has been on nearly EVERY super chevy mags thats been out...

again, i dont want u to get discouraged but i encourage you to do a LOT of reading, and some more, and some more to the point where u cannot keep your eyes open!!

Other than that, i hope to see your car on the magazine one of these days Smile  

98LS1FlawleSS 98LS1FlawleSS
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 16 | Joined: 08/13
Posted: 08/21/13
08:59 AM

Almost everything accessory or external on the 350 would be interchangeable. Bolt-ons would be the same, etc. Even if you got headers and whatnot, they'd be the same.

I really like the Holley 650 for stock applications

http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/holley/department/air-fuel-delivery/part-type/carburetors/cfm/650

But 750 would also be good for street, and if you go stroker 750 would be better

http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/holley/part-type/carburetors/cfm/750