Wiring harness replacement

Super Chevy
Item Posts    Sort Order

Wiring harness replacement

dodobird56 dodobird56
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/14
Posted: 02/19/14
02:40 PM

Boy I sure could use some help. I am trying to replace the fried AC/heater wiring harness on my 1984 Z28. I have got all connections loose on both ends. How the heck do you get it threw the firewall? I have got the whole dash loose and pulled out, but I still do not have access to the location where the wires disapear between the heater ducts and the floor. There is a metal wire clamp holding the harness in place up under the dash that I can see but can not get to. It looks like the complete dash and the heater box needs removed to provide complete acess. I think I might be in over my head. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks....Steve  

wayne712222 wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule! | Posts: 63 | Joined: 11/13
10:50 PM

i cannot tell what kind of connector or device it goes thru ..  i seem to recall some kind of bulk head connector that allowed the intact wire to continue thru but it has several layers of cable positions... if that makes any sense..

it also looks like you will need to pull the inner box out to get at the underdash side..

its not that hard as long as you can reach all the nuts and fasteners and have the heater core disconnected.. the Evaportator core stays under the hood.. so you don't need as far as i recall to discharge the AC..  if you have not already had it extracted by an AC shop with a recycling tool..

if you are wondering why.. when you go outside.. do you note how hot the sun is on your skin.. freon released eats up the ozone..

here is a image that might help..

84Fbodyhvacwiring Zpse45ef1aa  

wayne712222 wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule! | Posts: 63 | Joined: 11/13
11:50 PM

oh... please pay close attention to the size and location of the fusible links..

a fusible link probably burned and was either eliminated or was replaces with a larger diameter fusible link.. that did not burn out before the wiring got too hot and burned..

here is an image of a removed heater harness.. the rubber boot is what you are trying to get loose.. is there a big U shaped clip holding it in.. like is used on the electronic engine controls harness or is it just pushed in and wedged there???

89Fbodyhvacharness Zpseb82e07e  

dodobird56 dodobird56
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/14
Posted: 02/20/14
04:42 AM

Thanks for your post. I have got all connections loose on both ends including the rubber boot. I just can not get the harness to pull thru the firewall. I believe I  need to remove the heater box / duct completly from under the dash. That will give me clearence to open up the clamp I can barely see and push / pull the harness thru the floor / firewall insulation. Unless someone has another solution I think this is the direction I need to go. Now, next question. How do I go about removing that heater box / duct from under the dash?????  Thanks....Steve