Rotating Assemblies

Super Chevy
Item Posts    Sort Order

Rotating Assemblies

lit549 lit549
V-6 Camaros rule! | Posts: 35 | Joined: 06/13
Posted: 02/02/14
05:55 PM

Im building a 99 5.7 vortech,im using the 062 heads and probably the lt4 hotcam.Its going in a 85 c10 chevy.Can anyone give me a place who sells scat assemblies besides jegs or summit or ebay? Also whats everyones opinion on a 6 in rod engine? Its prob gonna be a 355,383's are cool but i really dont wanna mess with it.Its just a street truck,but i do wanna build a strong runner;and dependable..Any help would be great..  

wayne712222 wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule! | Posts: 60 | Joined: 11/13
Posted: 02/02/14
07:31 PM

wow... what a question.

http://scatcrankshafts.com/images/crank_all_clean_2013.pdf

almost any engine rebuilder..

i have not tried in over 30 years..  directly??

i used to sell VW speed parts only three miles from there in 1979..  that was one of their main products back then..

i worked at an engine rebuilder later.. and when i needed forged TRW pistons.. it was cheeper for me to order them from PAW than it was to order them directly from TRW sealed power, federal mogul.   they bought them by the pallet full.. i only needed a few sets a month..   if we had stocked several part numbers.. we could have gotten a better deal.. but still nothing compared to pallets at one time.  

lit549 lit549
Posted: 02/04/14
10:58 PM

Thanks,thats what im looking for;i know that jegs,summit, ebay,etc are all just vendors.Ive looked on Scats sight but no prices listed,guess i just need to call em.Sounds like thats prob the best way to go.Thanks for the catalog,wish theyd list their prices! Looks like calling them and piecing together a kit for my preferances,with their suggestions would be the best way? Thanks man,i didnt have that catalog and guess i never seen it..And whyd my question post 4 times?lol ill fix that,sorry.  

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 268 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 02/06/14
09:18 PM

Icon Quotelit549:
how do I delete these post that are posting 4/5 times??

Bear with us, the system is being updated and the kinks will be ironed out in short order.,. patience, I/we have numerous sites and will delete them as quickly as I/we (staff) can.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Posted: 02/06/14
10:17 PM

Icon Quotelit549:
Im building a 99 5.7 vortech,im using the 062 heads and probably the lt4 hotcam.Its going in a 85 c10 chevy.Can anyone give me a place who sells scat assemblies besides jegs or summit or ebay? Also whats everyones opinion on a 6 in rod engine? Its prob gonna be a 355,383's are cool but i really dont wanna mess with it.Its just a street truck,but i do wanna build a strong runner;and dependable..Any help would be great..

The 906 and 062 heads are identical castings except for cosmetic differences, both are limited to about .460" max lift, before retainer/stem seal interference occurs.,. both have 1.94" intake and 1.5" exhaust valves and the ports are identical as far as flow is concerned.
Google Scat and you will find a variety of dealers throughout the USA.
A 6" rod will give a miniscule rod angle advantage and a bit more dwell time at TDC, however this added dwell time at TDC is wasted time at BDC.
For the cost involved I would stay with 5.7" rods and spend my money on the heads, install 2.02" intake and 1.6" exhaust valves, plus have the guides machined so the heads will accept lift up to .550".,.
ALL,,,, your power is developed in your combustion chamber.,. concentrate on your heads.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

lit549 lit549
Posted: 02/07/14
12:19 PM

Hell i thought it was my fault on the multiple post! And also,on the vortechs have you heard of doing the z06 beehive springs and comp retainers to not have to machine the heads? I done this on the engine i hqve now and have often wondered if thats why i have alot of valve trane noise? Its a zz4 cam ,and i did not do the screw in studs;which is the only thing i didnt do correct.Reason i ask is my machine shop guy wants to do this same thing on my new engine,i kinda just wanna do it right and machine for bigger springs,but he swears the beehive spring trick is the way to go? What do you think?? Im prob gonna go with a 5.7 rod as u suggested too,thanks!  

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Posted: 02/07/14
05:20 PM

When your machine shop does the valves, have them back cut 30 degreesValveswith30degreebackcut Zps8c884e12
I would insist on screw in rocker studs and as far as springs and retainers go, I'd also do it right and machine the guides for the larger springs. You need to keep a close eye on rocker/retainer clearance.
Rockerretainerclearance 1
as well as rocker geometry
Rockergeometry 2
Your machinist has to evaluate all the critical clearances with his "trick" springs and retainers.
Retainers 1
Retainerandspring 1

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

lit549 lit549
Posted: 02/08/14
12:28 AM

Thanks! Finally some good info..  

tuffnuff tuffnuff
02:04 AM

You welcome

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

lit549 lit549
01:59 PM

While i have a knowlegable guy here,how crucial is setting piston/deck heigth?Keep in mind im not a engine builder and im attempting to do it myself,so bear with me.Also on degreeing the cam,are these things that ya utilize to check the machine work and grind of cam is correct?Since its not a wild race engine,how crucial are these to check? My machine guy is the best around too.Im also gonna run this stuff across him,but i dont wanna annoy the guy cause hes super busy..  

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Posted: 02/09/14
05:11 PM

Deck height is usually around .025" and a gasket compressed will add .039".,. you can deck your block to "0" deck height for additional compression.
Degreeing a cam is something engine builders routinely perform to verify valve eventing, but for the average street build this is not usually done.
Stay on the good side of your guy and merely suggest options to him.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

lit549 lit549
Posted: 02/11/14
09:43 AM

Right on,thanks for the info!