got problem with 496

Super Chevy
Item Posts    Sort Order

got problem with 496

xxlv8 xxlv8
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/14
Posted: 01/11/14
07:45 PM

hi there i was puting together 496 stroker and there are new manley 230 valve and i bought new valve seals to pro comp teflon i think and the valve are tight in but he is burnig oil and i took the intake manifold off and thre is oil in all of the intake ports so i am wondering am i using wrong valve seals or could it be somthing else i live in iceland and there are not many guys here that have expirens like you guys so i tought i sould ask somewere like in this forum im sorry abaut my englis tho hope ypu understand me i was on summit and if ypu have trible valve springs you sould use viton valve seals can you guys help me understanding what is happinig here i can not see anything wrong in the heads and the valve seals are tight on the head and the valve is tihgt in the seals to i wondering if the oil could come from other than the seals the manifold gasket is brand new like avrything else in this motor all new from eagle in the block and new manly valves and all gaskets new to im lost here hope ypu can help me solve this not cool smoking blue out of the exhust with all that monny spent and becuse i live in this contry in middle of nowere i have to pay 2 as mutc fore avrything becuse of the sky hi shipping hehe anyway hope you understand me and thank you fore reding this Smile  

ddemello ddemello
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/14
Posted: 01/11/14
07:57 PM

if you have oil in the ports, you have a manifold sealing problem, or you are pulling oil from the engine into the carburettor, or manifold from the valve covers or pcv valve.  

xxlv8 xxlv8
Posted: 01/12/14
02:00 AM

ok thank you but there is just oil on the valve i took the manifold off and lookd in the ports and tere are oil sitting on the valves the port it self is not so wet in oil looks like its komin stright down with the valve i have weiand team g manifold so this port in the middle dont know what that is ar closed there is nothing in the manifold fore that thing but ok do you mean it could be becuse the brething on the valve cover is not conegtid to vacume there is just small filter that you plug in the valve cover i had 402 bbc and this vas sure not problem on him and same set up and im sure the manifold gasket is not leeking its brand new put that in one day ago becuse i tought that was the problem but there are no difrence with the new gasket but thank you to fore the awnser im gig to conegt the valve covers to the manifod hope that will help  

wayne712222 wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule! | Posts: 60 | Joined: 11/13
12:02 PM

just curious...

can you check the clearance between the bottom side of the valve spring retainer and the top of the valve seals..

some cams have enough lift to crush the valve seal..

i have also seen a few people assemble the heads with a air powered valve spring compressor.. and MASH the retainer down into the valve seal and put the springs into coil bind.  

usually one just compresses the spring enough to get the keepers in..

you can also read the impressions on the gaskets...

lastly.. do you have a PCV system hooked up.. is there a chance the pvc is pulling vapors from a non baffled area.. so its grabbing massive drops or oil spray off the rocker arms and springs..  you will find your intake coated with oil.

there is a test to see if your PCV valve has close to the proper calibration..

with a digital tachometer hooked up over a wire.. block the PCV flow..  the engine should drop between 50 and 70 RPMs..  this shows it has the proper vacuum leak that the carbs are set up for..  keeping your primary throttle blades covering the idle transition slots.. so you don't foul the spark plugs at idle.

sometimes there is no room for baffles in the valve covers..

some of the other big block members will have ideas of what to do then..  i have ideas.. but lets see what they say..  

ddemello ddemello
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/14
01:15 PM

if the things wayne says dont find the problem, you are where you started, a bad guide or seal or both.  

xxlv8 xxlv8
Posted: 01/16/14
08:30 AM

ok thank you so mutc guys for helping me out here i do not have the pcv hookt up i just heve thise mr gasket filters on the valve covers so i think there is the problem so mutc pressiur in the engene so i was trying to connegt the valve cover brething to the heeders but i need to buy some kit fore thet with chek valves right ? do you think thats likly the problem ?? becuse the the engeni dont have proper brething circle on the valve covers and i have not drive the car one mile so the engene is maybe not ohh i dont know how to say this i thinsk she have to seals better when i have driven the car some miles am i right ?? im wery sorry abaut m englis im trying to lern it better many words in this enegne teck talk i dont know so hope you understand me but i did just use regular valve spring compresser not air and i have hydrollic cam its just 580 in lift i think on the intake so i sure i did not cruch the valve seels its comp cams valve seals like unbrella i think you guys call it white plastic seals ok i wating fore the brething kit fore the heeders and im hoping that will solve the problem do you guys thik thats sounds likely ?? ok thank you guys fore awnsering me and helping me out here if someone know this stuff then its you there are no specalist like you in iceland just amatures when it comes to serius engene building so thansk agen and let me here what you think aubout that Smile