Triple Carb conversion 327 Chev

Super Chevy
Item Posts    Sort Order

Triple Carb conversion 327 Chev

VINCENT62 VINCENT62
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 4 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/19/13
09:44 AM

Blush I purchased a tri-carb Edelbrock manifold set-up with carbs for my 300/327 62 Chevy, it's a 4 speed car, what Rochester carb   (middle & end 2bbl model carbs & cfm) should I be using for the setup--also can I use a non-progressive linkage to run off middle then use end carbs as dumpers when I need the oomph!!Whats with these 94 carbs I hear so much about?  

waynep712222 waynep712222
V-6 Camaros rule! | Posts: 122 | Joined: 03/13
04:50 PM

center carbs and end carbs are different...

there is no idle circuit in the end carbs..

the throttle plates fit tighter in the end carbs to avoid air leaks.. and keep the center carb working...

there are several articles spread out in the MANY magazines here on TRI POWER carbs...

including some over in the rodding magazine... streetrodder and rod and custom..

i will take a look around and see what i can find for articles..

where to find the carbs???  swap meets .. ebay..

there might also be some creative carbs that i recall seeing.. that actually have fuel injectors hidden inside..  so you would have fuel injection..

start with this..
http://www.customclassictrucks.com/techarticles/1102cct_speedway_motors_9super7/

i am not old enough to have messed with 94's and 97's  

04:57 PM

you will also not just want to read.. but to memorize this one.. if you go to rochester carbs..

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_1210_rochester_tri_power_tuning_secrets_1932_ford_coupe/

here is another

http://www.hotrod.com/pitstop/hrdp_1102_rochester_2gc_carbs_rebuild/viewall.html  

05:02 PM

please... also.. measure the height of your gas pedal from the floor with the current set up...

you will also want to photograph or document the distance the throttle rod from the gas pedal attached to the current throttle lever on the carb...

why... so when you have your foot on the brake pedal.. and you move over to the gas pedal its at the proper HEIGHT from the floor and from the brake pedal...

the distance from center to the linkage attaching point on the side of the carb.. will allow you to restore the proper ratio.. so when the pedal gets to the floor.. that the center carb will be at WOT... without the linking binding..

and since you might be working on an early 60s chevy...

please be sure that you either have the safety cable that mounts on a bracket on the exhaust manifold and the loop drops around the upper control arm shaft.. so the engine cannot lift up if the motor mount breaks...   or find out if your current motor mounts are LATCHED.. so they are isolators.. but cannot separate more than an inch..

this can be done at the motor mounts also.. in various ways..  i would have to look at the ones you have.. to see what is needed..

other forum members may have answers also..  

05:05 PM

and more...

with the manifold you just picked up..

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/techarticles/1108rc_true_vintage_tri_power/viewall.html

feel free to ask more questions..

you may get much more of an answer..  

VINCENT62 VINCENT62
Posted: 10/20/13
11:00 AM

Wayne --Your info was appreciated and valuable to me--Is there a better brand of user friendly carbs I should be using other than the Rochesters--I already purchased the Edelbrock #5419 tri-carb manifold for 4-bolt carbs. Vince Wink  

VINCENT62 VINCENT62
11:00 AM

Wayne --Your info was appreciated and valuable to me--Is there a better brand of user friendly carbs I should be using other than the Rochesters--I already purchased the Edelbrock #5419 tri-carb manifold for 4-bolt carbs. Vince Wink  

04:19 PM

rochesters..

holley 94 versions

stromberg 97 versions

there are holley tripower set ups.. but i don't know if the spacing is correct for them to fit.. it would require 3 carb adaptors..

you might want to take a look at what demon has cooking..  i thought i saw something in the up and coming items..

if i was a carb manufacturer..

i would look into creating a mini 2300 version.. that used a conventional holley float bowl and metering block. but the main body and base plate are smaller..

how to handle this.. i would install the booster venturis in an an angle to allow smaller narrow bores and the 4 bolt rochester flange..

keeping the venturi and throttle plate sizes to one of the 2300 versions.. or what was used in the 390 holley 4 barrel.. that way.. no tremendous metering changes would be needed..  and conventional tuning parts could be used..