406 sbc header help

Super Chevy
Item Posts    Sort Order

406 sbc header help

h53mwood h53mwood
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 4 | Joined: 07/12
Posted: 05/03/13
07:54 AM

Hey all, I've been looking around at headers for a couple of weeks and was hoping to get some input here. I ended up taking over a project car of my dads that he lost interest in and have been making a few changes; I'm fairly new to all of this so please forgive me if I have a lack of technical knowledge. It’s a 73 Nova with a 406, 288/296 (298?) Crane Saturday Night Special cam with .536" lift (think it’s supposed to pull from about 3-7k), 3500 stall, rpm airgap intake, 750 Holly..... I replaced the old S/R torquer heads with some Jegs 195cc aluminum D ports, 2.02 & 1.60 valves..... After the install, my round tube Hookers leaked at the head so I am now searching for some D port headers and was wondering if anyone can make some recommendations as far as size and length or brand? The more I read, the more uncertain I become. The engine still has the short 5.56" rods so we don’t like to turn it but about 6k tops. I need a header that will be most beneficial under that rpm. Have been thinking about some 1-5/8" long tubes, so I don’t loose torque but I'm not sure if this is large enough for my setup. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide!  

h53mwood h53mwood
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 4 | Joined: 07/12
Posted: 05/03/13
11:47 AM

No one? My post was a bit rushed and I forgot to mention a few things. The car will mainly be used on the street but it will see the strip about 25% of the time. From what I've read, shorter and larger port headers are better for high rpms and sacrifice some power down low while the smaller port ones (1-5/8") with a longer length will be better for lower rpm torque? Since I'll be shifting around 5500, I was guessing the 1-5/8" full length would be my best bet. Yet, my ocd makes me wonder if I need something larger. Just attempting to find something that will work well with my application without breaking down and having some custom tuned ones made.  

redneckjoe69 redneckjoe69
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy | Posts: 612 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 05/06/13
06:02 AM

id consider some hooker super competion headers, with 1.75inch primary pipes.   that 406 is gonna want to breathe.    might have to make a call to jegs/summit/whoever to find a set that matches your D ports?    

sounds like a fun project. Cool