Quadrajet choke?

Super Chevy
Item Posts    Sort Order

Quadrajet choke?

joshcanfield joshcanfield
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 24 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 04/24/13
07:43 PM

ok so I have a 350 in my el camino and I am working on the carburetor. I have heard a lot about having manual, electric, hot air, or No choke.  I have this...

Imag0373q

Imag0376c

its a 17059226 Rochester Quadrajet. I have not touched it since it was installed on the engine.

I know that it is an electrical choke but it dosent work that I know of. can I just get rid of it? Do I need it? (I live in south alabama... warm and humid). so Any suggestions?  

68scott385 68scott385
I have an SS396 tatoo | Posts: 325 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 04/25/13
09:03 AM

I've run chokeles for years. In the coldest of winter months it may be slightly troublesome when first started in the morning but other than that you won't know the difference.

You can either wire the choke butterfly open or remove the butterfly and linkage(s), depends on how much work you're willing to put forth.

I'm in KY if the gives a weather/temp reference to qualify/quantify my statements.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

68scott385 68scott385
I have an SS396 tatoo | Posts: 325 | Joined: 07/09
11:03 AM

Deciphering you carb numbers:

1705 indicates 1976-1979
9 is the last numeral of the application year
2, the first one, indicates federal, non-California, applications
2, the second one, indicates division application, Chevrolet in the case, also indicating original Chevy application is that the fuel line enters the carb from the side, on BOP applications the fuel line enters from the front
6, typically but not always, an even number in this spot of the ID means an automatic transmission application while an odd number in this spot indicates a manual transmission application

That is the number (17059226) you need to get the correct carb rebuild kit. The parts guy, no matter what parts store he or you are in, will ask for that number.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

waynep712222 waynep712222
V-6 Camaros rule! | Posts: 122 | Joined: 03/13
02:58 PM

wow.. stacked choke thermostats..

well.. you can remove with a single screw the choke coil on the intake..

looks like somebody had attached a ring terminal and a screw to the electric choke terminal..

depending on if there is a locating notch...  you should be able to loosen the 3 screws that hold the electric choke coil in place and turn it till the choke is all the way open and live with it...

if you want to remove the entire choke assembly off the side of the carb...

you might end up with a vacuum leak that will need a dab of epoxy or silicone..

remove the three screws that hold the choke coil on.. behind that you will find a single screw that holds the choke housing to the side of the carb.. that comes off.. remove the screw from the choke lever cam.. use the end of the choke rod to lift out the lever thats in the slot..    

i would toss all these parts in a plastic bag.. so you will have them.. if you want them later..

you will also end up loosing the secondary choke pull off as the choke housing holds the lever in place...

the primary choke pull off can also go..  again.. toss all parts and screws in a bag for later.. include the carb number in the bag.. so you can identify what they came off of..  

Ravoll Ravoll
V-6 Camaros rule! | Posts: 85 | Joined: 02/12
Posted: 04/26/13
01:21 AM

Divorced choke manifold,and a carb with an electric choke element
in a heat riser housing.Now there's something ya don't see every day.

Grin  
The older I get,the faster I was.