Super Chevy
Item Posts    Sort Order

TH 350

Ravoll Ravoll
V-6 Camaros rule! | Posts: 85 | Joined: 02/12
Posted: 04/15/13
03:03 PM

Who has speedo drive gear experience?

My speedo cable siezed in the tube.It didn't twist off anywhere ,instead the drive gear on the output shaft walked forward.Was it designed to do this or is it broken?
The teeth look fine all the way around,I don't see any cracks,and it's till tight on the shaft.
I'm gonna have to drop the tail shaft no matter what,but I would like to know if I can maybe just get the retainer back out and put it all back together,or if the cog's gonna be stripped and I need a new gear.If so I would rather get the new gear before I dismantle stuff,and find out I cain't fix it.PITA any way you look at it Tongue  
The older I get,the faster I was.

supersport66 supersport66
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 4 | Joined: 01/12
07:26 PM

There is a clip that goes inside the gear that holds it in place in a hole in the tailshaft.I put a new gear in mine and it moved forward so I took it back apart and I didnt have it snapped in so I slid it back turned it till it snapped in.Check out this website.
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/speedometer_calibration_______va.htm?gclid=CMnEzP2OzrYCFQLpnAodaA0AYQ  

68scott385 68scott385
I have an SS396 tatoo | Posts: 325 | Joined: 07/09
09:30 PM

The speedo DRIVE gears for the 700r4 & the th350 are the same inner & outer diameter, completely interchangable. The DRIVEN gears however are not interchangable. The 700r4's driven gear is ~2" in diameter while the th350's driven gear is ~1" in diameter. The tailhousing only has four bolts holding it on. There is an o-ring that may need to be changed. If you know a good trans man he may give you a spare.

GOOD LUCK  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

Ravoll Ravoll
V-6 Camaros rule! | Posts: 85 | Joined: 02/12
Posted: 04/16/13
03:33 PM

Yeah I just rebuilt this tranny last winter.I remember fighting to get the keeper locked in , and was doubtful then ,if it was correct.Probably wasn't.I think that's what saved it.New cable is in and the instrument panel is back in.
I didn't get around to the gear itself.Was side tracked cleaning old dusty instrument panels,and adding some backlight to the gauges.Always something.
Gonna be putting exhaust on in a few days,maybe then.

the O ring I'll use again with some permatex.  
The older I get,the faster I was.