1970 nova rear leaf springs question

Super Chevy
Item Posts    Sort Order

1970 nova rear leaf springs question

blanknova blanknova
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 5 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 03/22/13
05:20 PM

Hey guys brand new here, just had a question about my rear leaf springs, right now I have the old monoleaf springs with air shocks and want to buy new multileaf springs, I dont want to lower it, but dont want it hitting the tires on bumps anymore.... I heard about the summit springs having some issues, and hotchkis only has lowering springs... My nova has traction bars as well. Any thoughts on what brand and after I do install them, should I keep the air shocks or scrap them?  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Big Block power for the win | Posts: 940 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 03/23/13
05:46 AM

Here is what I did many years ago.
  I had a 1968 Camaro with mono leaf springs. I went to a spring replacement shop. I told them what I wanted, the same situation as you have. I bought the solid eyes for the front and rear perches (Moroso Parts) "Competion Engineering Now". "Don't use them on the street". They make a polyurethane for the spring eyes.

1.They built a set of (4) leaf springs, installed the solid eyes.

Here is what I wound up with. Now this was strickly a Drag Race car.

1.Front was: Moroso's Trick coil springs with a 90/10 Gabriel adjustable drag shock.

2.Rear was: (4) leaf springs and Competition Engineering traction bars, and a Gabriel adjustable 50/50 drag shock in the rear. I never used an air shock.
The rear was never dropped, Like I said I ran it for 40 rears with a similar set-up and that was my fun car.

Keep it simple in the back, and have the traction bars

Bob  

pepsi1 pepsi1
05:59 AM

blanknova welcome to Super Chevy:
  Buying leaf springs from Summit Racing or Jegs, you don't know who or where they were made. The influx of forgein parts is killing this country. The quality has gone down too. Of course what you do is up to you.
  Drive your Nova to a spring shop and see what they can do for you. Spring shops can bend leaf springs and do things that just ordering springs off the shelf, won't get you.
  Competition Engineering is now part of Moroso Suspension componets.Good Luck.

Bob  

redneckjoe69 redneckjoe69
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy | Posts: 612 | Joined: 02/10
07:05 AM

id ditch the air shocks.  they give a harsh ride.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
01:08 PM

blanknova.

I forgot to mention,my '68 Camaro I had a 10" M&H in the rear wheel wells. But I made too much Horse Power. I needed a bigger tire. I didn't touch a thing in the rear. I did have a Dan 60 with 5:13 and a posi.
  I used a set of Firestone's that were 12" wide. I installed a 1/4" spacer behind each wheel and a little offset with the rim. The actual Bulge of the tire was outside the quarter panels. Even with 4 psi in them. If I made a real quick turn in either direction they would scrub, but that was ecpected The suspension was soft.
  I didn't and never did cut the car up. It had all the original sheet metal except for the R/Front fender. One day at the track a guy backed into it. So it was replaced.

Bob  

blanknova blanknova
04:05 PM

thanks guys, looks like after the engine is built ill take it to a spring shop. right now I just pulled out the whole wiring harness and installing a new one.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Posted: 03/24/13
08:26 AM

blanknova

1.When it comes to a 40+ year old car, and wiring harness. Get rid of it all. Do it right the first time. You'll have piece of mind also. (Just some FYI) order a harness with all the options. If you ever want to install an option the harness should have it. Cool

2.Thats the best way to do your Rear Spring Project. "It won't be a problem" for the spring guys. Those guys deal with all types of vehicles and the problems. Tell them what you want, they will make it. If your going to do the work that will save you the labor cost. Good Luck... Grin  Cool

Bob aka-pepsi1  

blanknova blanknova
Posted: 03/25/13
09:45 AM

I bought an entire harness kit from american autowire, removed my whole harness in one piece just in case if i may ever need it for anything...