67 Camaro rear differential

Super Chevy
Item Posts    Sort Order

67 Camaro rear differential

Burton118 Burton118
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 3 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 02/27/13
08:54 PM

I need to replace my stock 67 rear end (10 bolt, non-posi, drums)with a posi with disc brakes.  Have looked at a couple out of newer mid 90's z28's.  What width should I be looking for, and does anyone have any other suggestions?  

Thanks for any and all help!!  

68scott385 68scott385
I have an SS396 tatoo | Posts: 325 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 02/28/13
08:41 AM

Measure your old rearend to find what width to look for. Industry standard is to measure from the axle flange on one end to the axle flange on the other end, this way your track width stays the same.

The Gen1 & Gen2 Camaros used leaf springs while the Gen3 & newer cars use coil springs. To use a late model rearend you'll have to modify the brackets on the axle housings or modify the car to use a different suspension setup.

Or you could upgrade the rearend you currently have with a posi unit, gear ratio of your choice, c-clip eliminators, and a disc brake swap. The price to convert would have to be close to or less than the cost of new.

Not all rearends used the same ring gear diameter. For performance you want an 8.5" ring gear in a 10-bolt rearend. If your currernt rearend is the 8.2" version you could find a housing from a second gen Camaro for it's ease to bolt in and its larger ring gear capability. In the late 70s or early 80s GM switched to a 7.5" ring gear, you do not want one of those.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

Burton118 Burton118
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 3 | Joined: 02/13
11:43 AM

Thanks for the input. This is my first rebuild and I want to get it right. Again, thank you.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Big Block power for the win | Posts: 940 | Joined: 03/11
02:08 PM

If you have a lot of power in your Camaro. Maybe looking for a 12 bolt with a posi. is not out of the question. Moser, and Currie are making 9" Ford rears really affordable. What ever way you go make sure its with the newer parts. The older 10 bolt rear that you have has a small pinion bearing. I don't know what type of failure you had to cause a rebuild. But again your carrier may also limit to the gear ratio you can run.
But make sure your axles are not bent or twisted. Check the axle bearings also. There are Firebirds and Camaros with the Rear disc set-up. Good Luck

Bob