TwinTurbo 355

Super Chevy
Item Posts    Sort Order

TwinTurbo 355

troy94 troy94
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 5 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 11/04/12
05:19 PM

Hey guys I'm new to this forum. Basically I wanna build a twin Turbo 355. I plan on remote mounting the turbos behind the truck. Motor mounting etc is no problem. I just wanted to know if anyone has any expirience with twin turboing am old V8. I plan on going to TPI so.... btw the turbos I have at the house are 70trim  

waynep71222 waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy | Posts: 218 | Joined: 04/12
07:26 PM

people have been building twin turbo 355 motors since the early 70's...  oops!!! early 60's.... just saw a photo of one a while back on another forum..

rex carson had a 65 malibu with the turbos in front  of the valve covers and turbo mufflers wedged  into the front section of the inner fenders... with outlets in front of the front tires...

there are multiple turbo kits that install behind the rear bumper on 4th gen F bodies..

there are about 40 car and truck magazines on this site.. that might have some articles on similar projects...

how about a little more info.. like what you are putting it in...  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Big Block power for the win | Posts: 940 | Joined: 03/11
08:53 PM

+1 on the extra info.

I've seen the turbos run through the exhaust at the rear of an F and G body. If your really serious do you have the turbos? If so Edelbrock makes kits.

The engine you have is it built for a twin turbo set-up? You need an 8:1:1 compression at the most. The engine has to be in very good mechanical condition.  

We build engines with super-chargers for the police cruisers. Boy you have to see what they bring us. Its junk at best. The super chargers are done we use them for parts. The housings they haven't broken any of those yet.

Bob  

troy94 troy94
Posted: 11/05/12
09:40 AM

Ok, I have a bagged and body dropped 94 Ranger. It looks like this
Facebook 180045747 1
Facebook951530013162 1
Facebook 1264545479 1

I build a chassis for it, it has the front suspension clip or a 1994 s10, firewall back custom frame, custom core support, s10 10bolt rear end.... etc. I have the brake booster behind the cab right now but I'm gunna relocate it behind the dash so I can remote mount the turbos Behring the cab (one on each side)

I have a.355 at home, it has Dove roller rockers, solid lift Cam, haven't been into it in a log time so I can't remember what else but I am aware that I have to go through the entire more before I do this.

I'm just curious as if I can run 2 70 trim turbos mounted that far.from the motor. I've been told ill get Turbo surge.
I also want to know the way to limit the boost I'm putting to the motored between the two turbos(I only want to run 10-14 psi total)
and I think I'm going to go with a TPI injection system.

By the way everyone the help is much appreciated. I am 21 and have learned all this stuff in the garage, am I off to a good start? And 1 more thing yes I know its a ranger hut it was my very first vehicle Built for Touche with Chevy stuff!  

troy94 troy94
09:44 AM

As for the kit.... I can build my own... all the plumbing, exhaust all that is going tonhave to be custom fabricated and I have a knowledge on how the system needs to be plumbed... etc. I may even have to make headers for this lttle project unless I can acquired Turbo manifolds (which I prefer) and build off of that.  

troy94 troy94
09:45 AM

I apologize for spelling I'm doing this from my mobile phone  

pepsi1 pepsi1
09:25 PM

Troy94
  For being only 21.I would say get an engineering degree in the automotive field somewhere. It's really sharp! I'm an old Gear Head been around this stuff for 58 years of my life, OKay with that being said.
  In my earlier post to you I mentioned www.cartechbooks.com it may not be a waste of time or money if you can find something on twin turbos.

Bob  

pepsi1 pepsi1
09:54 PM

Troy94
  If you go on the Amsoil site there is an 198? Monte Carlo SS that they stuffed twin turbos under the hood. It is really done nice. You probably know more about turbos then I do.
  I have a custom engine shop but do a lot of Drag Race engines,and 1/4 and 3/8 mile asphalt and dirt track engines. Head work is and always has been my forte. I am trying to retire.
  You can purchase good cylinder heads, but still need that tweaking, the cup guys twist and turn all their heads.***SEE BELOW.I built my first flow bench. You know why? Because someone said I would never get it to work. It took a really 2 years to perfect. I had a machine shop. He flowed 2 pair of my heads. To make sure they were Ok. He compaired my flow charts to the super flow #?. They were so close when he put the chart papers over each other. You didn't know what was his or mine. Now they sell blue prints and schematics for them over the web.
  If you have an idea of where you want to mount them I would fab something up. The heat they put out I'm only saying this is very hot. So with the room you have. You can mount them in the rear, and put your cooling up front!
  ***You were very young when Robert Yates with his Ford built engines were running away from the Chevy's.This was before Nascar was really into checking cylinder heads. He was the first to come out with an 18 degree cylinder head. Then when they could up with his secret the Chevy guy's were right there...But he did enough damage to the Chevy guys they knew something was up. Like I said cylinder heads still need tweaking.
  I don't know what your into son... But if it's automotive design stay with it. Send Chip Foos pictures. If you don't get a response from him send them again, and again. There are so many options for you young people today. I love technoligy and how it progresses. Anyway you stay with your thoughts.
  I have NO DOUBT that you will get the twin turbos to work. Grin  Cool

Bob  

pepsi1 pepsi1
10:58 PM

Troy94
  Compressor surge is a condition caused generally when a car equipted with a Turbo has a BOV that fails (or no BOV at all). When the driver slams the throttle shut, there is still compressed air in the charge pipes.
  The Turbo however has no power to spin,b/c theres no load on the engine.(~0-5%TPS) so theres no exhaust. This causes the Turbo Cahrger to back spin then forward then backward direction.I don't have 1,000's of hours of hands on experience with it, but My understanding is that the Turbo will surge making a kind of WUB,WUB,WUB, sound. (I've heard this) and goes between forward and backward with unequal pressures.
  This causes massive amounts of Turbo Lag when you get back on the throttle, and absolutley (Destroy and shaft style Turbos).
  The other way surge can happen is a compressor wheel (the cold side) is required to move a volume of air far beyond it's capacity (outside the islands on the compressor map, past the surging). Theres a similar phenomenon that occurs, except instead of back spinning the pressure generated by the Turbo will oscillate. I have nver personally had this occur, and can't say with any assuredness it makes noise. I would guess it is not only noisy, but it makes your boost gauge go psycho...My 2 Cents... Grin  Cool

Bob  

troy94 troy94
Posted: 11/06/12
10:12 AM

Bob, I have already Googled it. I used to work at a place called RDP mototrsport and my buddy isnvery knowledgeable. But he is toobbusy to talk this out with me and so i have to turn the forums. I would be running hog's though and more than likely external waste gates as well. Does anyone know where to read up on the ins and outs of turbos? I find info scattered all over the net I need it all in one place!  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Posted: 11/06/12
03:44 PM

Troy:
Turbo Chargers started way back in WWII. They had them on the Allison Engines. My wife's 2005 Monte Carlo has a 3.8 with the turbo. If thy can run in Diesel Trucks for a million miles, what are you actually looking for.