1974 Nova questions

Super Chevy
Item Posts    Sort Order

1974 Nova questions

NovaMom75 NovaMom75
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/30/12
09:54 PM

My 15 year old son has a 1974 Nova that he is fixing up for his first car. One windshield wiper arm is broken and he cant get it off.  Nothing we try works.  Any suggestions?  I found a tool online to remove them, but didnt want to order it if its not going to work.  He's getting frustrated.

Also...he needs random parts...some chrome, a back bumper etc and I dont even know where to start to help him find this.  Looking online just has me a lil overwhelmed.  

Any help would be much appreciated!  Thanks in advance! Smile  

waynep71222 waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy | Posts: 218 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 12/31/12
07:05 AM

show him this video.. its 30 seconds long.. the last few seconds are how the wiper arm comes off the splined shaft..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKvbtxGiI_w

the underside (arm end) of the wiper arm has a little spring loaded tab that retains the wiper arm on the splined knob..    you have to lift the back end slightly while pulling up to defeat this device enough to get the wiper arm off the shaft..

one Warning.. some cars and trucks have a sliding latch.. those will have a little tab of metal under the arm end next to the opening for the splined knob.. one has to lift up on the spring part of the arm slightly and move the slide tab over then release the arm.. the arm will come down on the tab and then you will be free to wiggle the whole arm off the splined shaft..

where to get 74 nova parts...     there are a few suppliers ... many advertise in the print issues of this magazine... i will have to look around.. but you could google or yahoo 74 nova rear bumper..

you will probably find several suppliers...    there are also bumper shops who can straighten and replate it if its not rusted out...  74 had nice thick bumpers..  

waynep71222 waynep71222
07:27 AM

he may also need the bumper filler panels... as these all get hard and break after all the years..

http://www.classicindustries.com/nova/parts/body-components/bumper-components/filler-panels/

wow... when i looked around.. no 73/74 nova bumpers on a quick search...

time for chrome shops.. ebay   classified..  junk yards..  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Big Block power for the win | Posts: 940 | Joined: 03/11
02:06 PM

First Welcome aboard Nova Mom74 to the Super Chevy Forum:

It's nice to see we have a young Gear Head, and his Mom involved in helping out with a 39 year old vehicle.

Their tempermental like all of us, so be patient with it. (Remember this) your old car is a classic, and you have to give it a name....LOL...

Swearing at it never helps. Throwing things doesn't help, and can get expensive... Taking breaks and walking away are your best defenses....

Thats a fantastic tool, and it works. IF Someone hasn't screwed the splines up.
Try getting the wiper arm up as far as you can and just try wiggling the assembly. Will did it if the tool fails.

Try taking it off with the wiper in different positions. Sometime just getting a better angle on it helps.

Word of Caution: put towels or a heavy cloth on the windshield. Especially if you live where it gets cold.

When you get finally get it off,clean the splines with a small file and just run it down each of the splines. You can't hurt it you only want to remove the oxidation that has built up over time. Just wipe them off.If reusing the old arm, just spray a little WD-40 on the splines.

Don't use oil or grease! That will keep the arm from going down. (Its called Hydraulic) Thats a fancy way to say it has pressure in the 2 mating parts and they won't lock together. SO JUST USE WD-40.
   "HAPPY-NEW-YEAR"

Bob  

pepsi1 pepsi1
02:17 PM

Be glad you started out with a general Motors product. There are so many parts that are interchangeable. (Until you get into the newer GM cars).

Having fun is the biggest part of doing a project.

THE FIRST THING TO DO IS GET A SERVICE MANUAL. Thats the best thing to do.

www.cartechbooks.com  Has a variety of books. I did it for my sons and its a lot easier to fix and understand things when you can see it......Good Luck  Cool

1.Take pictures before you take things apart

2.Take pictures during your dissassembly of anything

3.As you take apart whatever lay it out as it came apart (Take Pictures)

4.If putting things back together and they don't fit, Don't Force them together. That means something is wrong. Ask questions

Bob  

NovaMom75 NovaMom75
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 01/01/13
09:13 PM

Thanks so much for the help!  I'm happy to say that the wiper arm finally came off about 2am!  lol! I pulled out my girl card and heated the arm up with a flat iron (used for hair straightening) and it slid right off! No damage to the car, paint, windshield, or the wiper knob!  Not the manliest solution, but it worked! (and the splines appear to be undamaged)

As for the bumper....the car came without one at all.  Most of the chrome on the front of the car was removed for paint and came with the car, but its in bad shape. We've googled over and over, but we either find lots of front bumpers, or parts suppliers that I'm just not sure are trustworthy....or a huge variety in prices.  Were planning a junkyard trip as soon as the weather improves.

Does anyone know if another year bumper will work with little modification?  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Posted: 01/02/13
12:38 AM

this will REALLY help.

http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=39364

there are ways to search through this... but clicking on ONE thumbnail at a time to page through will really let one learn how it goes together..

this does cover GM cars up through 75...

you can find more in the search link at the upper left of that page...

the bumpers are in the 7.000 group...  thats a LOT of clicking for this time of night..  

waynep71222 waynep71222
12:50 AM

here is the direct link to the 74 front bumper...

http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=41682

this is the parts page for the 7.831 front bumper

http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=12861

the GM part number was a 337437 and it looks like a one year only front bumper.

with that part number.. there seems to be one on ebay  

waynep71222 waynep71222
12:51 AM

oops sorry.. you said REAR bumper...

bottom of the page on the second link...  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Posted: 01/04/13
01:29 PM

NovaMom

Anything that works is Okay. There is nothing written in stone when it comes to this type of repair. Believe me! You were using your smarts.

Bob