evaporator core 82 el camino

Super Chevy
Item Posts    Sort Order

evaporator core 82 el camino

82elcamino 82elcamino
V-6 Camaros rule! | Posts: 48 | Joined: 05/10
Posted: 12/12/12
02:43 PM

I am restoring my el camino. When I removed the evaporator core from the plastic case there was some type of substance on the bottom of it. It was like it was gluing the evap core to the bottom of the case. I don't know if it was silicone or what it was. I think it might have been for insulation.
When I install the new evap core do I have to put something like that in the case? Does anybody know what I'm talking about? And where do I get some of this?  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Big Block power for the win | Posts: 940 | Joined: 03/11
07:16 PM

82elcamino
  Just a litle word of caution. When working around the evaporator area be carefull there is NO Mold or Mildew. If you smell anything funny stinky spray the crap out of it with a good disenfectent....Be safe not sorry... Been there and done that.
  Just make sure when you reinstall the new evaporator the water drain hose is not plugged or restricted.
  I think what has happened over time. The heat cycles have melted that rubber insulation,and glued itself to the evaporator.
  Thats exactley what it is.It's insulation, and a way to lift the evaporator up to fit your application. Remember the ElCamino has only  small cabin to heat, and cool. Compaired to the bigger Station Wagons, and Monte Carlos of that vintage.
  You'll see that on the low pressure line as it goes to the outside into the engine compartment. There is a black sticky rubber type insulation. Thats so the Low pressure side (The Cooling Side) when it goes into the engine compartment doesn't drip/sweat water all over its only condensation. If your converting to R-134A. It works as well as R-12 did. You exhaust temperature in your cabin ducts should be approx. 30*-40* cooler then the outside temp. The relative humity has a lot to do with it. Good Luck with your restoration...
Happy Holidays
Bob  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
My first time was in a Chevy | Posts: 128 | Joined: 04/10
08:08 PM

I've not had an evap core out lately. Maybe its for anti-vibration? If its the black sticky stuff and not some kind of foam, it might be like this which is available where body shop supplies are sold. Its strips of gummy butyl rubber, has many uses:

3M Strip Calk  
idrivejunk

pepsi1 pepsi1
09:17 PM

Matt: I've got a question. On State Police Cruisers do they use an Imron paint, I consulted with a GM dealer back in the 90's. I saw a Trooper take things from his back seat and just threw them on the trunk, and it never made a scratch in the paint.

Bob  

pepsi1 pepsi1
09:18 PM

+1 Matt. Thats the stuff the sticky caulk.

Bob  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
My first time was in a Chevy | Posts: 128 | Joined: 04/10
Posted: 12/13/12
06:37 PM

Icon Quotepepsi1:
Matt: I've got a question. On State Police Cruisers do they use an Imron paint, I consulted with a GM dealer back in the 90's. I saw a Trooper take things from his back seat and just threw them on the trunk, and it never made a scratch in the paint.

Bob

Bob, most of the police cars I've fixed got just regular refinish paint, normally acrylic urethane. Imron is a polyester urethane and it can't really be buffed because its so hard. Similar scratch-resistant paints were used by (mainly foreign) cars in the late 90s but that was just the clear. I can't say what any of them actually used at any given time and it changed around a lot, but since Imron was an such an expensive product I doubt it was used by OEs on cruisers. Although if they didn't, maybe they should have.  
idrivejunk

pepsi1 pepsi1
Posted: 12/14/12
12:42 PM

Icon Quotepepsi1:

Bob

Icon Quoteidrivejunk:
Bob, most of the police cars I've fixed got just regular refinish paint, normally acrylic urethane. Imron is a polyester urethane and it can't really be buffed because its so hard. Similar scratch-resistant paints were used by (mainly foreign) cars in the late 90s but that was just the clear. I can't say what any of them actually used at any given time and it changed around a lot, but since Imron was an such an expensive product I doubt it was used by OEs on cruisers. Although if they didn't, maybe they should have.

Matt:
  Again you've answered a question. The reason I asked the town police cruisers were scratched, and yet the Mass. State police cars seemed to be different. When I saw the Trooper just through his briefcase, and other things on the trunk,I questioned it. But the Paint shop didn't know because the State Police have their own body and paint shop. They always put 100,000 extended warranties on the drive-lines. I thought of it the other day when I saw a Trooper on the interstate, with a construction sign just sitting on the Ford Crown Vic.

I remember When I did my '66 ChevyII I had to buy a special respirator,and had to cover myself as best as I could. It was very toxic. I worked for DuPont and was able to get their paints at 5% over what it cost. I remember I couldn't buff it. It was hard. I did some stripes and I had to scuff the area with 200 grit paper...LOL... It was hard. You know curiosity it killed the cat...I know I should have PM'd you. Sorry about that. Thanks again Matt.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Grin  Cool
Bob

PS There was a shooting in an Elementary school in CT. I actually grew up not far from there. They are saying 18 Kids 5 to 10 years old, and 8 adults. The shooter killed a parent in NJ... What the @#$%^ is this crazy world coming to????
I want to know how a 20 year old kit walks into an elementary school with guns and starts killing people....Take it easy....
Bob