Intermittent non start

Super Chevy
Item Posts    Sort Order

Intermittent non start

typo typo
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 5 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 11/18/12
10:37 AM

We just got a 94 Caprice Classic. It was starting most times and occasionally nothing. The lights all come on, radio and lights work, but turn the key and nothing happens. It got more and more frequent until now it might start once out of every 50 attempts. It has a new starter and battery. The pass key fail light has been on since we got the car. We only got one key, so if the chip is bad we can't even try with the other key to see if that helps.

It doesn't try to turn over or anything. Anyone have this issue and find the solution?  

typo typo
02:09 PM

55 views and not a clue?

I'm screwed.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Big Block power for the win | Posts: 940 | Joined: 03/11
03:34 PM

typo
I believe if you can use the key to open the dors and trunk the ignition should read it too. I maybe wrong it's been along time since I've been around them.

When you turn the key do the lights dim.? If the before info fails to help let us know.

You can try this. You will need a helper. Half a helper in the car, and when he has the key turned to start, you tap on the starter. Try this a couple times.

Look through the owners manual it may have some ideas also. The owner's manual may also have a plastic ignition key cut out in it. My wife had a 1995  Oldsmobile Cutlass it had a pass key. I think you can use them in emergency's only.

Bob  

typo typo
03:47 PM

There's a different key for doors/trunk and ignition. The lights do not dim, and it's an all digital dash. We'll try the starter banging tomorrow. It's too dark here now. I don't think we have the owners manual but will look. The previous owner got the car from a police auction. Bullet holes and all, haha!

Thanks, Bob!  

pepsi1 pepsi1
04:25 PM

Typo
  I forgot that year still had 2 seperate keys.
I had to run off for a few. The reason to tap on the starter sometime the starter brushes wear out and the spring that pushes them out gets stuck or isn't long enough, or get cocked in their holder. So TAP ON it with a Piece of wood.Then get a starter if it does start after that tapping...

Bullet holes, I was at a car show and a guy had an Elliot Ness mess...LOL... The story I was told. He found the body in the woods with bullet holes and a tree growing out the D/S window. The guy that owned the property told him if he could cut the tree down without crushing the car he could have it FREE. The guy had a friend that had a tree cutting service...LOL...He did a beautifull restoration on the car. He plugged the bullet holes, and replaced them withe fake ones.

Bob  

waynep71222 waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy | Posts: 218 | Joined: 04/12
10:09 PM

i would say to change the ignition switch..  i have seen this a LOT of times

you do have to drop the column slightly.. but you don't have to take the steering wheel off or disassemble the column upper section...

one warning.. there is a tiny hidden string on the bottom of the shifter bowl .. usually on the right hand side of the column.. that leads up to the P R N Od D 2 1 indicator.. if you don't loosen and remove the clip from the end of the shifter bowl...  you will BREAK the dash board or the indicator..

0900C15280047a11

oops.. thats an image of a non tilt column.. so the instructions might be reversed.. perhaps not..

please don't pound on the bottom of the small starter motors.. they have a ceramic magnet encased and the magnets will fracture/shatter ruining the starter..  i don't know which of the starters you have.. so i could be wrong...  

waynep71222 waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy | Posts: 218 | Joined: 04/12
10:23 PM

take a look at the inside of these ignition switches...

Ignitionswitchwornoutcontact

the contacts burn away...

now.. if your key seems to NOT function properly...  there is a chance that another part has come apart... up in the column.. and that is NOT a consumer repair.. if the steering wheel and upper column wiggles sideways... or up and down more than a fraction of an inch.. almost an invisible amount..   when the column housing to tube bolts come loose and allow the steering wheel and upper section to wobble.. the actuator rack has a loop that catches the end of the actuator rod... when it gets lifted/ bent..  the upper rack does not move the lower part far enough to start the engine...  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Posted: 11/19/12
12:15 AM

Typo
I didn't say to pound on the starter. Tap it lighly with a piece of wood. Don't use a hammer. That engine should have a mini starter in it. Grin  Cool

Bob  

pepsi1 pepsi1
12:29 AM

Typo if you have to replace the ignition,disconnect the battery. Let it stand dormant for 10 minutes or so. Before you work on it. This will help the circutry that controls the air bag, in the column. Don't have your face over the air bag when your removing the 4 screws that hold it to the steering wheel.
  Did you try that as an alturnative to start your engine. You Caprice has OBD1 so it may reset itself after you disconnect the positive side of the battery, and then hook it back up.

Bob  

typo typo
10:33 AM

The starter is new. We called our go to shop this morning before I fired up the computer and they said that there is a reset that needs to be, well, reset after the starter is replaced.

So we are trying all this stuff and researching that too.

I really appreciate all the help!  

typo typo
11:22 AM

Also, the battery is new so if it was going to reset, it would have.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
12:51 PM

Typo
Okay so you got that part out of the way. Man you really have a strange problem. Because it could go back to an ECM also.

How many miles are on that?

What engine is it. The 8th digit on the Vin. If it's a (P) that is a LT1 engine. The engine is worth some money. So don't just junk it. Anything other then a(P)
makes it Okay.

Bob