Starting

Super Chevy
Item Posts    Sort Order

Starting

57RZB 57RZB
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 3 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 11/13/12
10:30 AM

Confused Little lost, I am working on a 1960 Parkwood with a 283 & Power-glide power plant.  For some reason the vehicle will not start by turning the key. I have changed condenser & points, ignition switch & key cylinder, “N” safety switch. I am able to jump it over with a screw driver on the starter, and there is power to the ignition plug.  I did place the “N” safety switch in park when I installed it. Could it be the starter? The individual who owned the car prior to me installed an alternator with an internal regulator, I had to clean up the wiring job, and install a junction box, and there is power through the system. I am lost!  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Big Block power for the win | Posts: 940 | Joined: 03/11
11:09 AM

57RZB welcome to Super Chevy:

You will need a helper for this.
  If you can get to the starter connections, have your helper turn the key to start. If you get Voltage to those connections I would say its the starter.
  If you have 2 connections check them both I don't know which is your actual power source. I would try that a couple of times to be sure.. Let us know what you find.

Bob  

57RZB 57RZB
11:44 AM

THANKS BOB, I WILL GIVE A TRY... Cool  

waynep71222 waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy | Posts: 218 | Joined: 04/12
10:04 PM

ok.. i am LOOKING at a 60 chevy full size wiring diagram...

on the IGNITION Switch.. there seem to be 4 wires..

pink from the IGNITION Switch seems to lead over to the fuse box.. 3rd fuse down from the top.

violet from the ignition switch to the neutral safety switch then on to the starter solenoid S terminal..

Tan from the ignition switch.. tan feeds a bunch of stuff under the dash board.. but also goes thru the same bulk head connector next to the violet wire for the starter ..  BUT... on the engine side of the bulk head connector.. the TAN wire . .lets call that IGN 1.. becomes a WHITE RESISTANCE Wire to the coil and a brown wire to power the wiper motor... ...

RED on the ignition switch is power from the battery.. via a bunch of ODD connections...

DO YOU HAVE power ON the RED wire at the IGNITION Switch???  since they have removed the stock voltage regulator probably NOT...

let me explain the 1960 wiring as far as the diagram i have goes...

starting at the battery Positive.. the big cable to the solenoid.. the small cable to the B terminal on the voltage regulator...  this should be a Black wire...

now.. from the B terminal on the voltage regulator..  you have a red wire to the Horn relay. but from the same B terminal on the voltage regulator you have a red wire that goes into the OTHER bulk head connector...  coming inside under the dash.. the red wire connects to a 5 wire connection.. where ONE of those wires goes to the IGNITION Switch red wire..

so the question is.. do you have any power under the dash board????? from the RED wire..

since you have modifications to the wiring harness..  

perhaps you should install a terminal block under the dash.. with a 10 gauge wire to the battery.. to supply it.. you will want to have 5 inches of 14 gauge fusible link to protect this circuit...  near the battery positive..  this will get you enough power under the dash to properly operate many items..

do you have a wiring diagram for the 60??  

one additional thing.. at the coil positive.. the white wire is a resistance wire from the bulk head connector and the IGNITION SWITCH...   but at the coil positive connection you will also find a dark green wire that is the resistor bypass circuit..  up from the  R terminal on the starter solenoid..   i have not ohmed the 60 ignition switch..  usually in later point type cars.. the ign 1 which would be a TAN wire to the white resistance wire to the coil supplies power only in RUN.. during cranking the circuit is open...  and the ignition coil gets all its voltage from the dark green wire from the R terminal on the starter...  

waynep71222 waynep71222
10:27 PM

by the way.. if you are upgrading to HEI ignition.. you may want to rewire it a little more..

this is a later ignition switch .. still dash mounted.. but the IGN 1 circuit does NOT cut off when you turn the key to the CRANKING Position...

the wire colors shown on this switch diagram almost match your car ...

except IGN 1 on your car is  TAN..

but in the truth.. my wiring diagram could be TOTALLY WRONG...  as tan is usually accessories and the pink is usually ign 1...

Gmkeyindash POINTS To HEI

it all depends on just what you are doing with the car...  

waynep71222 waynep71222
10:49 PM

this is a 63 pickup wiring diagram...

on the left upper corner follow the F-1 wire to the voltage regulator...

from the left end of the voltage regulator follow the 2-AD circuit to Splice 2... shown straight out the top of splice 2 it continues at 2-AD to the ignition switch...

this is the same as i described..  except your ignition switch seems to have one more wire..

the starter solenoid control wire is NOT Shown in this diagram.. the 5- AG wire goes to the R terminal on the starter relay and the 7-AS wire goes to the coil positive..

the 3-X wire seems to be the accessory  wiring out of the ignition switch..

1960 1961%20Wiring%20Diagram5  

waynep71222 waynep71222
10:55 PM

lastly...   you might think about using a 70 dodge dart starter relay... wired like this..

this removes the MASSIVE amp draw from the wiring harness.. only takes about 2 amps to operate the dodge relay..  where it takes over 50 amps to get the GM starter solenoid to kick in properly..

this is a trick that completely changes how the car or truck starts.. makes it start at a touch of the key as there is INSTANT cranking and enough voltage for the ignition to create a hot enough spark and light the spark plugs..

i usually hang this on chevy models on the heater box mounting studs...

Starter Load Dropping Relay  

57RZB 57RZB
Posted: 11/16/12
04:09 PM

Thanks,  Cool