70 chevelle stance

Super Chevy
Item Posts    Sort Order

70 chevelle stance

ghotte371 ghotte371
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/12
Posted: 09/29/12
11:57 AM

I rebuilt front and rear suspension on my 70 chevelle and replace old springs with new ss springs for a big block 454 but the front end is aprox. 3" higher than the rear. any ideas what could be the problem? I bought the springs as a 70 chevelle ss kit. Confused  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Big Block power for the win | Posts: 940 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 09/29/12
04:01 PM

Were the front springs keyed?

Did you add a silencer to them? Just a little will piece of plastic or urethane will make them sit higher that goes under or over the spring, so they don't squeek. Confused  

If the upper end of the spring doesn't key in the correct spot with the lower they will sit higher also....

Or it's possible that when they break-in they will settle down. I would contact the company you bought them from. This way if it doesn't lower they may help you out.

I purchased a set from Eibach for my car, and they never settled down. Eibach never made good for them....I just cut 1.5 coils from the front coil springs. They were fine after that. It was the point of having to take things all apart again that's what made me mad. Again one size fits all. Grin  Cool

Bob  

Ravoll Ravoll
V-6 Camaros rule! | Posts: 85 | Joined: 02/12
Posted: 10/07/12
04:11 PM

Just for fun......Do you have a big Block under the hood?You say the kit was for an ss 454 chevelle,was just wondering.  
The older I get,the faster I was.

redneckjoe69 redneckjoe69
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy | Posts: 612 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 10/07/12
04:28 PM

Icon QuoteRavoll:
Just for fun......Do you have a big Block under the hood?You say the kit was for an ss 454 chevelle,was just wondering.

i was kinda thinking the same thing.    3 inches is alot, IMO.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Big Block power for the win | Posts: 940 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 10/08/12
08:53 AM

Hi Alan.
Remember a few months back we talked about the what if factor. Here is the what if. I assumed he had a Big Block under the hood. Did you see what happened to me. Eibach never made good on the springs. So I cut 1.5 coils off the spring. The spring rate was I'm guessing higher then the OEM. version. The correct way to find the rate of a coil spring I was told is this way...

You must compress the spring 1" down. Then do your testing. Now I was told buy a guy at a spring shop. They actually cycle the spring X amount of cycles, then do their tests. They told me a good coil spring should have a hysterisus of not more then 1%. So when you install the springs, one side won't be 1/2" higher on one side. Then you shouldn't have to cut or heat a spring to get ride height.

Bob