94 CAMARO DOESNT WANT TO START

Super Chevy
Item Posts    Sort Order

94 CAMARO DOESNT WANT TO START

po_choppa po_choppa
My first time was in a Chevy | Posts: 239 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 12/22/09
12:20 AM

I JUST PICKED UP A 94 CAMARO Z28. I GOT IT TO START WITH A SHOT OF STARTER FLUID THOUGH THE INTAKE. RAN FOR A LITTLE WHILE AND THEN DIED. NOW IT WONT START AGAIN NO MATTER HOW MUCH STARTER FLUID I SPRAY. THIS IS THE WAY I BOUGHT THE CAR, I GOT IT CHEAP FOR THIS REASON. FUEL PSI IS 40-42. MY FIRST GUESS IS THE IGN CONTROL MODULE. I JUST NEED TO KNOW IF ANYONE ELSE HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM AND WHAT IT TOOK TO FIX. I JUST PICKED IT UP TONIGHT SO I HAVENT GOT A CHANCE TO DIAGNOSE ANYTHING. IM SURE FUEL ISNT THE PROBLEM NOW. I WILL CHECK TIMING AND SPARK TOMMOROW. IF ANY ONE WOULD LIKE TO EMAIL SUGGESTIONS HERE IS MY ADD.      PO_CHOPPA@YAHOO.COM (HINT: PONTIACMAN) Grin  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy | Posts: 556 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 12/22/09
05:06 PM

this is one of the reasons they created the diagnostic port ...  on a 94.. you can jump it to get trouble codes... with a OBD1 scan tool... you can look at live data...

the first thing i would do on that car... is take the coil and module off the left head..   examine the coil for white powder rings around he sides of the core.. closest to the coil frame..   they tend to leak voltage.. preventing the motor from starting..

you can also have the module tested while you are going to the parts store to get a new coil...   cheep replacements work also...   you already know to put new thermal silicone grease under the module..  dielectric tune up grease or transistor thermal paste...

but you knew all of this...   great buy though...  it still could be the fuel pump... can you have someone pound on the bottom of the fuel tank... while you are cranking it..  

55Guy 55Guy
Administrator | Posts: 1153 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 12/23/09
09:24 AM

First thing to do, get a spark tester (at any parts store) hook it up to one of the ignition wires, and see if it picks up anything. If you're not reading any spark, then the Opti-Spark is Opti-Crap on the car.

Not a cheap fix, but MSD makes a fully sealed replacement unit that's better than stock. I'd be willing to bet the water pump is bad too. Usually what would happen on LT1 cars, the water pump would go bad, leak out the weep hole, and the leaking coolant would drip into the Opti-Spark unit and fry it.  

po_choppa po_choppa
Posted: 12/25/09
09:41 PM

I WILL LOOK INTO THAT AND GET BACK TO YOU.. THANKS  

po_choppa po_choppa
Posted: 12/27/09
02:43 PM

WELL THE DIAGNOSTIC PORT ISNT WORKING RIGHT. WHEN I JUMP THE LEADS THE BOTH ELECTRIC FANS COME ONE. SO IM OUT OF LUCK THERE.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
05:42 PM

did the check engine light flash..  while the fans were running.. that is almost normal for this car...

do you know anybody with a gm type scan tool... that displays the live data stream???????

can you copy this link URL... and paste it into a new window..

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/imag es/0900c152/80/0b/86/3e/large/0900c152800b863e.gif

then print it.. it is a list of what you should see when you plug a scan tool in.. it will really really really help to understand exactly what you are looking at..

now.. until there... do you have spark from the coil?????   and then spark from at least one of the spark plugs????

got fuel pressure..   can you hear the pump run for 2 seconds when you turn the key on??????

how about a NOID Light????     say.. do you have a harbor freight tools store nearby..  their scan tools won't work with your car.. only 96 and up.. but they have noid lights ... timing lights.. and fuel pressure testers.. as do many auto parts stores...

a noid light.. what the heck is that...   it plugs into the end of a disconnected fuel injector connector.. lets you know if the computer is pulsing the signal to the injector.... really takes a short cut to .. does it work on not..  

log in over at autozone.com...   then click on the repair info link that is shown next to your car after you log in...  there is a big section on fuel injection and electronics...   you really need to read that...  

po_choppa po_choppa
09:52 PM

I GOT IT TO RUN GOOD AND MARKED THE TIME. IT RAN STRONG FOR 8 MINS. THEN IT STARTED TO MISFIRE. AT 13 MINS IT BACKFIRED AND DIED OUT. IT STARTED BACK UP FOR 30S. AND THEN IT JUST TURNED OVER. SO IM ASSUMING IGN MODULE. THE LOCAL PARTS STORES CANT TEST DUE TO LACK OF EQUIPMENT. WHAT DO YOU THINK?  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Posted: 12/28/09
07:33 AM

a good place to start ... without other equipment..

be sure to examine the ignition coil...

and there has to be proper thermal grease under the module.. or it will overheat and shut down just like you describe..  

po_choppa po_choppa
Posted: 12/28/09
04:42 PM

I CHECKED THE COIL FOR WHITE RINGS. NONE THERE. THERE IS PLEANTY OF THERMAL GREASE ALSO.  

55Guy 55Guy
Administrator | Posts: 1153 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 12/30/09
02:34 PM

It's an opti-spark unit, they can't really test those. sounds like it's toast, once the unit builds some heat it starts failing.

About the only way to figure out for sure is to find a good opti-spark unit to swap in and see if the car runs better.

One other thing, how's the fuel system in the car?