blowing oil filter gasket out

Super Chevy
Item Posts    Sort Order

blowing oil filter gasket out

LQQKING4U LQQKING4U
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/03/09
06:09 PM

Just rebuilt a 350 and fired it up today, within seconds oil poured out of the filter, the rubber gasket was blown out on one side. Checked the bypass above the filter it was fine. Second filter did the same thing. any suggestions? this isn't my first rebuild thought i did everything right. Pressure only gets to about 35 lbs when it blows. Its a mild build with new parts.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy | Posts: 556 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 10/04/09
08:24 AM

if the oil filter adaptor is bolted on straight... and not bent... so the filter seal is loaded evenly..

drop the pan and change the oil pump....  the internal bypass valve is stuck closed...  

this is a plunger in the main body of the pump.. with a spring.   so the pump can only pump so much.. when the pressure comes up..  the bypass opens... so the pump does not pump more pressure than the system including the filter can handle..

do not try to fix it.. chevy oil pumps are too inexpensive to take a chance...

be sure to replace the shaft if it still uses the plastic sleeve.. with  steel sleeved intermediate shaft..   on may 350 chevys.. it will be a melling IS-55E  ....    google IS-55E  and you will find pictures of it... under 10 bucks...

when you installed the oil pump pickup...  how did you do it...    oil pump pick up tube installation tools are available..   if you clamp the pump in a vice to drive the pick up tube in.. you can bend it..   if you put the pump against a hard surface.. you can bend it...   melling says to place it on a wooden block.. to drive the pick up tube in..

if i don't have a installation tool.. i have used an open end 5/8" or 3/4" wrench that fits tight over the tube and against the expanded ring on the tube..  and drive it in with a hammer on the wrench..  

LQQKING4U LQQKING4U
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/09
05:40 PM

Thanks for the reply, don't think i can drop the pan, have to pull the engine i will check the adapter first.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy | Posts: 556 | Joined: 08/09
11:34 PM

i agree .. it is sometimes better to pull the engine..  

i happen to have an early version of the engine support bar.. from harbor freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96524

it is so much safer than wedging 2X4's and 4X4's under the motor mounts..  it also comes in handy for doing front wheel drive clutches..    i have also used mine with a pair of jack stands to support the back of a dodge van motor inside the van when i had the trans out..

i forgot to mention...  the last chevy oil pump that blew filters off.. got towed to my former shop and dropped at the end of the long driveway...  the towtruck driver got in and started it leaving an oil slick the entire length of the driveway..
i grabbed the big bag of oil absorbent..  looks a lot like cat litter..  as i walked back into the shop.. the local cats all came running and were rolling and pawing their way though the long strip of CAT LITTER... it was great.. i wish i had a camera..

i have also started motors on an engine stand..  ran it for 30 seconds..  had it pointed so the shorty headers were aimed right at the boss.. who's motor it was..    was taking a too long nap in a car nearby..  Oh.. sorry i did not see you there..  i am so glad he does not read this magazine..