350 build 500hp

Super Chevy
Item Posts    Sort Order

350 build 500hp

V8S-10 V8S-10
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/25/09
02:28 PM

hey guys i was just wondering if you could help me. im gettin ready to start building a motor but i dont know exactly wat all i need for 500 horse out of a 350 on all motor no spray.i would like to eventually like to put maybe 150 shot to it. . the motor will go in a s-10 when i get it done not sure what tranny yet... i have an ls1 trans am with all bolt ons but parts are to expensive to build that up like i want to.lol any help would be appreciated  

LOVEmyCHEVY74 LOVEmyCHEVY74
V-6 Camaros rule! | Posts: 89 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 01/25/09
07:34 PM

By far the biggest help to getting close to 500 hp which in and of itself in a 350 all motor is hard enough to do is compression. 10.5:1 will probably be a good starter. You also need a hot ignition system, Good set of headers, a well matched intake and carb set along with a lopey cam and and PERFECT TIMING. Also take a look into efficiency parts. Roller rocker arms, double roller timing chain, and roller lifter. The less friction you have the higher potential rpms and more horse you will make also. Head work and some crank work will also be key to 500 horses. Get your heads port and polished and if possible get the crank knife edged just make sure the crank is still balanced after the process is complete. Knife-edging in case u didn't know is a process of grindings on the crank to decrease rolling resistance and oil resistance. Your crank will still collect and toss around plenty of oil just a little cheat way to get extra horses. There are some more little ways to make more horses but they are expensive and a lot of work............. Hope your build goes well  

V8S-10 V8S-10
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/26/09
08:02 PM

thanks alot  do you have any suggestions on heads cam intke and carb set up. . .and how much you think a motor like that would cost  

wr5561 wr5561
I love my Chevy Chevette! | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/27/09
12:35 AM

If you are trying to get big power out of your 350 I would say go with a full roller valvetrain and don't waste your time with a set of stock heads. You could put a ton of money into some GM castings and they still wouldn't give you the same return as a set of out of the box aftermarket heads. Dart's Iron Eagle heads really seem like a great way to go. You can get a set for less than $900 in most cases. When I did machine work for a living that's about what you would have into a set of stockers by the time you paid for the parts and machine work. I would top it off with an Edelbrock Victor Jr. or a Weiand Team G. A 750 CFM mechanical secondary carb should be enough. I am assuming you would like to be able to drive your truck on the street at some point. So many people over-carburate, especially on street applications. As far as brand of carb it depends on what you want to spend and who you may prefer. There are many to choose from and there will always be the possibility of getting a factory defect.
Do not forget to check piston to valve clearance. Depending on your combustion chamber size you will probably need a domed piston to create that higher compression ratio you are looking for. With domed pistons and big cams you don't want to overlook checking your clearances.
Almost anyone can build a 350-400 hp 350 ci with not a great deal of money invested. It's numbers like 500 hp that can really cost you some bucks. How much it costs you depends on how much of the work you can perform yourself. If you have to pay someone to do it all then  be prepared to spend over $3000 as a low estimate.
Good luck with your project! I hope I have been some help to you.  

LOVEmyCHEVY74 LOVEmyCHEVY74
V-6 Camaros rule! | Posts: 89 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 01/27/09
02:32 PM

I agree also suggest going with dart aluminum heads, great airflow and very well designed for performance. I like the intake and carb combo made by edelbrock with electic chocke and mechanical secondaries on a 750 cfm would be a great group. For the cam I think something with a big lobe separation will produce lots of vacuum to pull in lots of air and will give you that mean muscle car sound. Hydraulic rollers are very reliable cams and would fit your application well check out http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CRN-109671&autoview=sku it's got a great lobe separation and you can start your idle around 900 or 1000 rpms and have a killer sound. It's got a lower rpm ending but your truck will do well going down the 1/4 mile shifting at 5500 rpms. Set your timing to about 8-10 degree before top dead center and let that baby burn rubber!!!!!!!  

cathleen cathleen
My first time was in a Chevy | Posts: 161 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 01/28/09
09:06 PM

ya you can do it, You will need a well balanced rotating assembly and light. If your vehicle is going to be a weekend vehicle I'd bump your compression upto 12.5-12.1 area a full roller solid cam and some real heads like afr cnc ported dart cnc pro1's etc. or forget about 500hp without n.o.s. You won't get 500hp with stock heads unless you wanted to run like a 150hp shot of n.o.s. If you plan on running n.o.s you midas well throw a n.o.s cam in it. There designed around the needs of a sprayed motor. nos is definately fun in a boat atleast  

chevelle83 chevelle83
I have an SS396 tatoo | Posts: 442 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 01/28/09
10:20 PM

I would forget the 350 and go with a 383 stroker. If you are going with all new parts the stroker crank kit comes with everything but a block for around $850 bucks to the door at least thats what I paid for the last kit that I bought. It came with crank, main and rod bearings, flexplate, harmonic dampener, rods, pistons, rings, all of this was balanced, and a complete gasket set. This is hard to beat from powerhouse.  

cathleen cathleen
Posted: 01/29/09
03:43 AM

you can use ported vortec heads and get 500hp.  The newest version the bowties are nice looking aswell  

cathleen cathleen
Posted: 02/08/09
09:55 PM

true even a cast 4bolt 383 can crank out 500hp. But a entrylevel balanced and lightened forged assembly would be the way I'd go just for the piece of mind